Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322
Appliance

Zanussi FreezerZFT710FW red light is flashing. No apparent

Zanussi FreezerZFT710FW red light is... Show More
Zanussi FreezerZFT710FW red light is flashing. No apparent reason. It makes usual noise - humming from rear. Could problem with the light?
Show Less
Techdesk, Service Engineer
replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
It could be but it's very unlikely.

The red light flashing is telling you it's too warm inside the freezer.

Check inside, is it beginning to defrost?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

No. Light has been flashing about an hour

Techdesk, Service Engineer replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
An hour isn't that long so defrosting won't really show yet.

At the bottom rear is the compressor.
It's running, is it very hot?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Warm but not particularly hot.

Hiya,
OK, so there's no blockage preventing it pumping.

Unfortunately, to check the temperature inside the freezer, you would need a freezer thermometer.

Is the fan inside the freezer running?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

How can I tell if the fan is running? (unless that is the humming noise)

Hiya,
If you open the door, you should hear it stopping.

I don't want to ask you to turn it off and back on, in case it doesn't come back on.

I think you're machine is defrosting.

Open the door, take the drawers out and see if there's a build up of ice.
Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Well, the good news is that the light stopped flashing. Nevertheless, I went ahead with checking the inside and found the back to be slightly frosty but not icy.

Then about a minute later, the red light started flashing again, and still is.

Hiya,
OK, there shouldn't be frost on the rear panel.

Behind the panel is the cooling system (the evaporator).
This is likely to be blocked with ice.

I would suggest you try and find somewhere to keep your frozen food while you fully defrost the freezer.

Unless the problem is sorted out fairly quickly you are at risk of losing the contents.

The light is definitely flashing due to the temperature inside being too warm.

If you find somewhere to keep the frozen food, would you be able to take the rear panel inside the machine off so you can defrost it quickly?
If the machine is under 1 year old, let me know.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

The machine was bought nearly 3 years ago and it has been full of food since then so I would not know what is involved in removal of the rear internal panel.

Hiya,
OK, you still need to find somewhere for the frozen food so you can fully defrost the appliance.

This will take at least 24 hours with the machine unplugged, empty and the door left open.

After this, it will take around 8 hours to get back to down to temperature.