Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

Have Baxi solo wm 40/4 rs. Blew fuse at socket after disturbing

Customer Question

Have Baxi solo wm 40/4 rs. Blew fuse at socket after disturbing programmer and Blue and Black touched. Got power on, pilot on, but wont fire up burner. The solenoid doesnt seem to operate the valve, but solenoid ok when tested away from boiler direct to mains? No reset just a capacitor all tested??? Help
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

Can you confirm you have power/no power to the solenoid when the boiler thermostat is turned up and down

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

Have power to solenoid, but when pulled free and still connected, solenoid does not operate. At the thermostat the black and red wires coming IN, u get 240v at red and 0 at black with solenoid NOT connected, but 240v at red AND black when solenoid connected? Does the 3 port motorised valve ring any bells?

Andrew Smith :

Not really, the 3 port sends power to the boiler when activated.

Andrew Smith :

Do you think it is the gas valve sticking?

Andrew Smith :

I take it you are getting no 'clunk'

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

Only noise from gas boiler is the correct clunk when you switch gas off on the boiler and it shuts off gas input. With all connected and calling for heat, what readings should I get at solenoid? I am clueless sorry.

Andrew Smith :

A Baxi Solo has a 240v gas valve so you should get 240V across the two connections on the gas valve with a meter

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

Connections on gas valve? Is that the wiring from Thermostat to solenoid? The main confusion seems to be Solenoid to turn on gas operates on independent supply, but not when driven by heating?

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

Had a gas guy out initially who seemed to ok the gas valve and blame programmer. Tried new programmer but no difference. All settings on programmer look fine, external stat ok and pilot sat flaming away, just no CLICK and burner on.

Andrew Smith :

The solenoid is driven by the thermostat as long as the heating is being called for

Andrew Smith :

You could try checking power to the thermostat first?

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

See original question. Already done with the odd thing of neutral reading 240v with solenoid connected. Done resistance checks on live and neutral coming down to boiler and fine???

Andrew Smith :

Was that neutral to earth?

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

At stat I put red probe on neutral and black probe on ground and reads 0 when not demanded, but 240 when demanded?

Andrew Smith :

Ok, thats good

Andrew Smith :

Can you follow it through the stat?

Andrew Smith :

Does it go straight to the gas valve?

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

Its good that I get 240v from the nuetral when demanding heat?

Andrew Smith :

Can we just follow the live first - all the way from the input, through the stat to the gas valve to ensure the switching is correct.

Andrew Smith :

Then we check the neutral exactly the same

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

Do you have a manual or good idea of the lay out of this boiler? Sorry to sound very unpro, but I am, and apologies for delays in replying. I work nights, but now I am off for 4 days and really want to repair heating without breaking the bank. All that said, do you mean follow the live from Programmer, upstairs, down to room stat, back upstairs, through 3 way valve and down to boiler, through its stat and to solenoid at gas valve? Phew

Andrew Smith :

Yes!

Andrew Smith :

Try this;

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

Get back to you asap just gonna check through thanks

Andrew Smith :

No problem

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

All checks out apart from mains neutral not connected to othets . can't understand why nothing changed since fuse blown and not working? Is there a way of testing or bypassing to test the 3 port motorised valve? Desperate but skint

Andrew Smith :

You can disconnect the motorised valve using the diagram before and just link the live to the boiler feed

JACUSTOMER-w2863zud- :

What should happen when I do this?

Andrew Smith :

The boiler should fire if you send power to the boiler live feed