Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi, we have a bosch exxcel dryer WTL6304GB/02 which does not

Customer Question

Hi, we have a bosch exxcel dryer WTL6304GB/02 which does not appear to be heating, I have had the back off to find a reset button, found what looked like one (little red nipple on side of a small box) pressed it but did not get a click or any feeling that anything had happened, still did not work.
Any ideas? Do I have to continue to take it apart to find anything else?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Have you had a look at the heater coils themselves to see if they have blown?

Also do you have a multimeter?

If so then you need to test the continuity through the heater and see if it faulty.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will take back off again and look at heater coils, I do have a multimeter.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok check them and also test for continuity across the heater coils as well to make sure that's fine and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Coils look ok have checked continuity (doesn't send needle right across as when touching probes together) but there are 3 terminals so not sure if I am doing right. There are also two other little gizmos on the side of the casing, one has continuity (the one with red button), one not but not sure if they are heat sensors or what?
Can I send a picture?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

If you can send a picture that would be great.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I send a picture to you?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

If you look at the tool bar above were you write you should see a picture of a paper clip. Click on there to attach files and picture.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No paper clip (or anything else), pls send email address, I have already annotated a photo ready to send.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cannot find any way to send photo, pls send email address
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

We are not allowed to post email addresses on here im afraid. They will get crossed out by the system.

But you can upload them to a file shareing site like this www.mediafire.com and post me the link then I can access it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Spent ages trying to get a mediafire account set up, really pissed off now as it does not seem to work, all I want to do is fix the bloody dryer, I do not want to spend all afternoon downloading software which I will never need again, is there not an email address that I can send these photos to which can then forward them to you? as it stands with the time wasted I might just as well have dumped the machine and bought another one.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

You can try and email to customer services. Contact them from you account page and email it them and then they can pass it over to me.

But ive searched the parts list and have seen what kind of heater is on there.

The thermostat with a red button is the reset thermostat.

Then theres a thermistor near this it will have 2 black wires going to it. This will give a Kohms reading on your meter. Usually these are about 20 Kohms.

So looking at the heater do you have 5 wires?

2 black wires are the thermistor so the other 3 wires should have continuity between all 3. Check that and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I am reading the meter correctly then the two black wires have 20Kohms
The other three do have continuity between them every way I check.
Cannot believe it is so difficult to send a photo, can't even send one to the just answer lot, it is only text
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Strange as there must be a problem on the site as usually you can upload pictures.

But as to the heater from the readings you are getting the heater is fine.

There is another sensor on this. If you remove the plastic cover on the front at the bottom on the right is the NTC sensor. It will have 2 thin wires going to it. Check this for resistance. Again this will be about 20 Kohms.

If that's all ok then all thats left is the control board at the top. Take it off and see if theres any signs or burning on there.

But if the heater and front NTC are fine then its looking like the control board may be the fault here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will check the sensor, failing that how does the control board front come off?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

You need to remove the plastic control panel.

Take the top off and look at the panel and you will see the screws holding it on and the tabs.

Once you have that panel off you will be able to remove the board from there.

Regard

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't find where to test other sensor, I think I can see it inside but not bottom right or any wires.
Got top off but no screws or obvious method of removing the fascia.
Regards. S.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Have you removed the plastic cover on the front at the bottom?

Take the condenser out and you should be able to remove it from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Condenser tank out at top, what looks like a car radiator at bottom is also out.
Top fascia off at top with clips undone and broken plastic still no sign of any screws and still holding fast at bottom of fascia
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

The NTC sensor is at the bottom. You need to remove the plastic trim at the very bottom of the dryer on the front and then you can access the NTC sensor.

Try that and see what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bottom door/flap right off now, no plastic trim, only thing visible is the thing that won't allow you to shut the door when the flap is off, only plastic now is body of machine
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you cannot see it then it may be behind the front panel.

Im not extactly sure as I don't have the service manual in front of me on this model. But on others once you remove the plastic cover at the bottom its there on the right.

So looking at the parts diagram it may be behind the front panel.

I will opt out of this now and if another expert can help you better they will jump in. If you no one sorted it or its faulty I will see if I can get the service manual and jump back in.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have to do anything or will someone be in touch?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Just hang on and if someone can help they will jump in.

Please don't reply back to me as it just locks the question to me and the other experts wont see the question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still not had any response, 48hrs on, is this normal?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Sometimes giving answers online without seeing the appliance can be very hard. We don't want to tell you to replace something that you don't need to.

Sometimes we do get questions were you need to have an hands on engineer to check it out. sorry but if no has replyed then you may be best getting it checked out .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If only there was a way to send a photo, is it because I am on an ipad?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

To be honest with you from what you say the heater sounds ok so the fault lies with either the NTC sensor or the control board im afraid.

I did check to see if I had the service manual for this but I didn't sorry.