Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have a Hotpoint 6163 oven, approximately 18 years old, in

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint 6163 oven, approximately 18 years old, in which I'm certain that the base element in the top oven has failed (RCD trips out when top oven is turned on but is OK with bottom oven on)
I thought that this would simply be a question of hauling the oven from the housing and removing the back panel to access the elements but the element terminals appear to be secured from inside, so I'm assuming that element replacement is somehow tackled from the front. Removal of the most obvious screw fixings from behind the doors has failed to get me any closer to resolving the matter.
Any guidance on how to access the element or help to track down a maintenance manual would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The service manual doesn't show how to take out or fit elements I'm afraid.

When you had the rear panel off, were the element connections there?
The diagram I have appears to show them on the side of the oven.
(Poor diagrams I'm afraid).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the quick response.

Most of the element tag connections were accessible with the rear panel off but the the mounting screws were securing the elements from the other side, so were not accessible.

I already have the replacement base element to fit, but I couldn't see any connections of the same pitch and type at the base element level, so maybe it's accessible from the side.

If that's the case, which side panel do I take off and how?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Is there a grill or top element in the bottom oven?
If there is, then it's likely you saw these.

Take the side panels off, you should find it there.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a grill in the top oven, but the bottom oven is fan only. These connections were visible from the rear.

As I say, any further guidance on which side to access, which fixing points to remove etc would be appreciated.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
As far as I remember the element is on the right side.
However, I've had a customer tell me his was on the left side.

The element has the connections widely separated and each end has a single screw holding it.

Can you post or upload a photograph of what you are seeing in the oven?

I've checked the 6000 series manual again and there's nothing to show how it's fitted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, I've replaced the oven for now as we need to use it, so no pics I'm afraid.

The replacement element has wide spaced terminals and the tags point downwards, so this all suggests that access is from the side.

In the light of this info, I'll have another go at it next weekend.

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Good luck with it, if I find anything that may help, I'll post it.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Was talking to another engineer.
He said you should look nearer the middle, not where the connections come out.
He seems to remember a long metal plate that you release and you pull out the element, complete with this plate.
I don't remember this one but he told me there are 4 variations of the model number.

If this isn't the case, then the later models were from the side.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to let you know, I've now replaced the faulty element in the top oven & can confirm that on this model at least, access to the element tray is from the right hand side.

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for coming back and letting me know how it went.
Can't wait to tell the other guy when I see him tomorrow it was side fit elements, just as my diagrams suggested.

Glad you got it sorted out and working again.

Good luck with the appliance.