Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a haier fridge freezer afl631cs and the fridge has suddenly

Customer Question

I have a haier fridge freezer afl631cs and the fridge has suddenly stopped working. The freezer is still working fine. I've tried switching on and off and tried to switch it to super cool but nothing happens. Any idea of what it could be please?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is this unit ?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : About 14 months
JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Sorry the model number is afl631cw
KevinWhiteJA :

ok thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

How long was it left unplugged ?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : I turned it off for about 15 seconds - didn't want to leave longer as was afraid the freezer wouldn't come back on. What seems weird is if I leave the fridge door open it beeps to let me know as normal but I would have thought this function would disable if the fridge wasn't working!
KevinWhiteJA :

ok...it seems the unit is still under warranty...what you have to do is...unplug the unit and then check the rear of the unit for any frost build up....If you have frost build up, it means there is a problem with the defrost system and the unit will not work....you can leave it unplugged for at least 24 hrs and check if this works

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : I've been told its not under warranty.i don't want to unplug as I have a full freezer - is there no other option or way to diagnose?
KevinWhiteJA :

you can unplug it for a while and then remove the rear to check for frost build up

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : How long roughly for? When you say remove the rear - do you mean check the back of the unit outside or inside?
KevinWhiteJA :

You can unplug the unit and then take it out...check the back from the outside, not inside and let me know if any frost build up is there

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : I'll unplug the unit but I can't move it out. It's a large fridge freezer and it's in a larder cupboard - I can check behind it - though I did this earlier and there wasn't any frost - but I'll try this time without it being plugged in.
KevinWhiteJA :

when was it last checked for any frost build up and how was it checked ?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : I cleaned the fridge and freezer out just before Xmas but didn't check outside the unit - it's pretty well ventilated as e larder has avert high ceiling and it's not hard up against the wall! Didn't know I had to check behind the fridge for build up!
KevinWhiteJA :

The freezer is fine but the fridge is not working so it can be due to frost build up...please check and let me know

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Should I be looking at the bottom of the unit or at the back behind the grill bit
KevinWhiteJA :

at the back

KevinWhiteJA :

on the grill

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Its been unplugged for about 20 minutes - there is no sign of any frost does it need to be longer as I want to turn back on now
KevinWhiteJA :

Yes please turn it back on

KevinWhiteJA :

so there is no frost build up at the back of the unit ?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : No all looks fine
KevinWhiteJA :

the door is closing fine ?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Yeah I checked all that earlier as that was the first thing I thought but the digital display for the fridge section is not displaying anything and none of the buttons on the display for changing the temperature work. Yet the digital display is working for the freezer part - its bizarre
KevinWhiteJA :

do you hear the fan running?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Yeah and at the bottom of the fridge behind the veg basket there is a small vent and can hear that but not sure if that's related to freezer
KevinWhiteJA :

ok and you also hear the compressor running...just checking, I don't think it will go bad so early

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Its making humming noise but that's the freezer - yes I'm surprised it's gone too.
JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Do you think it' will just need replacing or possible to fix
KevinWhiteJA :

humming noise coming from the bottom of the unit where the compressor is or from the freezer section ?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Both I think it's hard to tell!
KevinWhiteJA :

Honestly I will check few things, the defrost thermostat & defrost heater should be checked...if that is fine then you will have to check the evaporation fan motor...if that is bad then also you hear a humming sound.....loud humming could also occur when the fridge door is open for an extended amount of time, as ice will build up on the evaporation coil...anyways I don't think compressor will go out in just 14 months but you can check that as well

KevinWhiteJA :

are you willing to repair this yourself ?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : I wouldn't have a clue so will probably have to get someone round to look!
KevinWhiteJA :

ok but some parts like evaporator fan and compressor usually come with 3 years of warranty

KevinWhiteJA :

You can always get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.

KevinWhiteJA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

JACUSTOMER-67v412j9- : Can you recommend anyone in the KT8/ East Molesey Surrey area?
KevinWhiteJA :

You can contact Haier at 0845 025 3025 or you can contact local repair center

KevinWhiteJA :

it will be better to contact Haier

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't forget to leave a Excellent or Good feedback so that I can get paid for the assistance that I have provided today...Thanks :)