Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508
Appliance

Our zanussi fridge/freezer is producing a whirling sound fromhigh

up in the rear. It... Show More
up in the rear. It stops when we open the door or obviously switch off Is this a fault ? if not, how can we stop it
Show Less
Techdesk, Service Engineer
replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the model number of the appliance please?
It will be on a label in the fridge.

Check inside the freezer, is there any frost/ice on the rear wall or floor?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

model number ZRB934FX2

The fridge freezer is operating OK frost on the back

Techdesk, Service Engineer replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for that.
Unfortunately, Zanussi technical website is down at the moment.
As soon as it's up and running again I'll have a look at the drawings/service information for your machine.

However, the noise from the fan is likely to be an ice build up and the fan is now striking ice.
It could be a faulty fan but more likely it's ice.

There shouldn't be frost, snow or ice on the rear panel, it's a frost free machine.
Either there's a blockage or a fault in the defrost system causing the ice build up.

Unplug the appliance.
Empty the freezer and take the rear panel off to access the fan and evaporator (mass of pipework).
The panels may be stuck to ice so you need to defrost it as you go.
A hairdryer can help but be careful not to melt the plastic liner.

Once the panels are off, fully defrost the fan area, the evaporator and the drain channel below the evaporator.
Ensure the drain hole is clear too and that water can run away.

If you can't do this work yourself, you'll need to find somewhere for your frozen food to be kept.
Then, unplug the machine, leave the doors open and allow it to defrost for at least 24 hours, preferably 48, to clear any ice build up.

After this, close the doors and plug it in.
If all is well it should be running nicely again.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Have you misunderstood, the noise is at the back of the fridge section, not the freezer

Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.
As I said, I can't have a look at the drawings yet, so I've had a "best guess" at the cause.
As I also said, there should be no frost or ice in your freezer, so you appear to have a problem there.

Once the tech site is up and running again, I'll have a look at the drawings.

In the meantime, I'll opt out of the question and open it to all again, in case someone happens to have the service information on them.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

There is no frost in the freezer section, and the whirling sound has just stopped. if the problem is as you describe an ice problem, does it mean that i need to turn off for a short time to clear it?

Hiya,
I asked you to check the freezer, you replied there was frost on the rear wall.
I assumed this was in the freezer as it was the compartment I asked you to check.

Sorry, I'll opt out again so everyone can see your question.
Once the technical site is open again, I'll see what I find in the service information.

If you post in reply, it does lock the question to me and no one else can pick it up.

Hopefully one of them will have the service information.

thanks
Hiya,
OK, I've just had a look at the drawings for your machine.
There is nothing in the fridge to make a noise.

Check your machine again.
Determine if the noise is actually in the fridge or from the top of the freezer compartment.

If it's the fridge, is it from the facia panel?

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

the noise is definitely from the fridge high up at the back. I could stop it immediately by opening the door, but as soon as I close it , it returns.

Hiya,
The fan in the freezer stops when you open the door.

Sorry, can't help you on this as there is nothing in the fridge at the top rear.
There's no fan and no motor that could be making the noise.

I'll opt out of the question and open it to all again.
See if anyone can think of anything other than the fan in the freezer that could be making the noise.

Sorry
Michael, Customer Service
replied 2 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.

This is caused by a defective fan or a restriction behind the rear wall.
The best thing to try fist, is to defrost the unit for 24 hours with the doors open.
Then turn it on, please then let us know if the whirring sound is gone or still exists.
Tech Michael