Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Thetford N80 caravan fridge. It works on gas but not

Customer Question

I have a Thetford N80 caravan fridge. It works on gas but not on 240 or 12v. I have pulled the fridge out to do some checks. I am getting 240v on the block on top of the fridge. I have continuity across the 2 terminals at the thermostat. Its not switching but that could be because the fridge is too warm.
Any ideas what to do next?
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
This sounds like a bad regulator for sure.
Its the part that sends the correct voltage to the fridges heater, it seems that it is getting the power but not sending it along to the fridge.
Please let me know if this helps.
I will stick with you until we have this ironed out but Since this may take some time, if you will rate me in a positive fashion before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael

Where would the regulator be and how would I test it.

George

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi this could be near the back of the fridge, or it can be anywhere along from the main power panel to the fridge.
It supplies the fridge with both 12 VDC (usually from the battery)and 240 VAC, depending on which is called for.
But in your case this may be a bad wire or a fuse link somewhere that is preventing the power from making connection.
Let me ask, do you have a a master switch that sets the power source?
That would be a good place to start.
You will need a meter for these tests.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael

There is a master switch on the front which lets me select gas, 12v, 240v or off. I am getting power to the switch and when I turn the switch I am getting a supply at 2 other terminals. So the switch seems to be working and I have power to it and beyond.

There are 2 cables going over the top and down the back of the fridge. They disappear into something, any ideas?

George

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,
are you getting power at the fridge?
Probably not.
That box where you mention the power going int something?
Thats likely the spot where you have the fault.
Thats the inverter, power converter.
It will need to be checked, there may be a fuse in there that went bad, or the unit may need to be replaced.
Please let me know when you check this.
Tech Mike