Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My dishwasher is plugged in but there is no light or electricity

Customer Question

My dishwasher is plugged in but there is no light or electricity hence it is not working
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Have you tried something else in the socket it plugs into to confirm the socket is ok?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the plug that it is plugged into is working as I put in a extnsion lead to the toaster and it worked fine.

Any other idea?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, I've to rule out the obvious first.

Can you post the model number of the appliance please?
It should be on a label on the door of the machine r in the door recess.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no details on the dishwasher but I do have the manual here

Proline IDW12P-U

Thanking you in advance

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Does your machine have a separate on/off switch?
There's a few variations of this model where Comet sourced them from different suppliers.

How are your diy skills?
Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My DIY skills are quite goo but I am not sure what a multimeter is.

What does it do

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
It tests electrical components and wiring.

Without it, you won't be able to test anything to narrow the fault down.

If your machine has a separate on/off button, unplug the appliance.
Take the décor door off and then the facia panel.
See if the on/off switch or the wiring has burned out.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the above. There are about 5 screws that wont unscrew.They are all phillips but none have cross threaded the 5 mentions are just not releasing. To say the least I havent manage to get it open. Do you have any other idea. Can you let me know if this Proline dishwasher is top of the range or bottom of the range. Also do you know if my Comet Extra care service has been taken over by another company or left hanging.

Your cooperation is greatly appreicated

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
The extra care service went down with Comet.
If you had an extended warranty,, sorry, it's worthless.

Comet own brand dishwashers tended to be bottom of the range appliances I'm afraid.

It's still possible to have it repaired but it would cost the engineers rate plus the cost of any parts required.

Check British Gas and Knowhow (Currys) for their fixed price repair deals.
I know British Gas charge £125 inclusive of parts and labour and no charge if not repairable.
I don't know about the deal from Knowhow, it's quite new.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the above. Do you have any recommendation for integral dishwasher. I thought I would ask as you may have repaired used or had alot more experience than I have. Is there anything you would or wouldnt look for in a new purchase

Thank you again

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
For integrated, I'd be looking for Bosch (Siemens and Neff are the same company) as my first choice.
I'd also be looking for deals with the longer warranty on them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for all the information

The problem is not resolved but I have a better idea of how much it will cost me to repair.

Have a good evening

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
You're welcome.
If you manage to get the facia off, and check things out, just post again.
If not, I'm afraid there's no way for you to repair your own appliance.

Good luck with it.