canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I need to remove the Siemens fitted microwave I have because

I need to remove the Siemens fitted microwave I have because it has broken down but I cannot get it out of the enclosure. It seems to be held in by the bottom ventilation grill and I cannot see how to remove that either. Could you advise me please?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. So the microwave hangs on a bracket on the back and then there are screws in the top to anchor it. If you open the cabinet above the microwave there are screws going down through the shelf into the top of the microwave. Remove those screws but be careful when you are removing the last ones. The front of the microwave will drop down. When you have removed the screws (they are all near the front maybe 4-6 screws) then lift the back off of the anchor plate while feeding the power chord through the hole also.

Customer:

I am sorry Mike, but what you say does not appear to apply to the way my microwave oven is housed. The actual microwave oven is free to move a little inside a stainless steel surround which has a ventilation grill along the top and bottom. There are no screws from the shelf above. Along the front bottom corner of the oven it is attached to a flange with double bend ( -|_ ) which protrudes under the top of the ventilation grill and it is not possible to lift the oven up enough to clear it and pull the oven outwards. Each end of the grill has an indentation which suggests that it ought to be possible to insert something and lever the grill off. But neither I nor a builder friend who came to help can find any way of doing this without damaging the wooden enclosure which houses the oven and its steel surround. Is there a trick to getting this off? So, I'm sorry, but I wonder if you have any other ideas? Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX Coekin (by the way are you in the UK or the USA?)

canuck the pro :

No problem. Sorry my solution didn't work out. Do you know the model number of it?

Customer:

Hi Mike. There are several numbers on the oven: I don't which is the one you want, but here they are: HF24052GB/01 / FD 7806 / XXXXXXXXXX / Type SS-839. I hope this helps. It is now 23:18 here so I am going to bed. Hope to hear from you tomorrow: I am at church during the morning; I will go online again at about 12:30. John Coekin

canuck the pro :

The trim plate cover on the front is clipped on. You pull the front grill cover off and then the microwave will slide out. When you have it out far enough you can unplug it and remove it. The trim cover is the border all around the front.

Customer:

Hello again Mike. Well, I've got it off but not via 'clips'. I could not find anything approaching clips although I am pretty sure that a professional fitter on the spot might well have found some. So using brute force I managed to lever the front trim out at the top corners and take out 4 very small screws which held the top cross trim grill. I was then able to force the rest of the trim off. Re-assembling the trim on a table still does not reveal any clips but hey-ho, its off and I have been able to remove the oven. It remains to be seen what I can do to re-assemble the trim with a new oven. Thanks for your help anyway: I am happy to endorse the payment for the effort you put in.

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber