Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hello, I have an LG WM1485 FHD washing machine. The display

Customer Question

I have an LG WM1485 FHD washing machine. The display pcb seems to have died and is no longer available. LG has stopped making the pcb for this particular model. Do you know of any compatible LG display pcb that would work? Or where I might find a spare from old or recycled stock?

I look forward to hearing from you as I changed the drum bearings recently and the machine sounds beautiful when it runs! I'd hate to scrap it just because the display pcb is dead.

Regards,

Keith
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, there's no compatible display in their range, that's still available.

Your only hope is to find a 2nd hand machine for sale that you can break for parts.

Are you sure it's only the display that's failed?
It's fed directly from the main control board (obsolete too I'm afraid).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello techdesk expert,

Apart from the identical model, which would be old LG models with compatible display pcbs?

Surely the display pcb that went into the WM 1485 FHD also went into other LG models of a similar vintage. If you could give me a list of these it would make my search that much easier.

Also do you know of a supplier of 2nd hand washing machines around London that I might try for my search?

Regards,

Keith

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, don't know any 2nd hand dealers in London.

There is a machine listed on Ebay, but, its in Swindon.

Sorry, you need the board for your machine. I can't find any other machine using the exact same board.

Sorry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

Thanks for your response.

I'd already located the machine in Swindon, its a 1480 not 1485 but I dare say the parts are compatible.

However, there is also a 1460 FHD front display panel & pcb available but the seller is unable to answer any technical questions. Can you confirm whether this would be compatible?

As in my previous request to you, what would be helpful is a list of all LG models that would have compatible diplay pcbs thus making my search easier.

In theory I should be able to get this info from LG but their customer support leaves a lot to be desired!

Help!

Regards,

Keith

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
LG have pathetic after sales.

The 1480 and 1485 use the same display board.

The 1460 uses a different board.

Sorry, there's no definitive list of parts and compatibles.
LG just don't help themselves in the after market with spares and information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the confirmation that the LG 1480 & 1485 use the same display board.

I appreciate that LG don't seem to have a list of compatible display boards available to the public.

However, could you tap into your network of expert colleagues and let me know which of the machines in addition to the 1480 I could cannibalise for a spare display PCB?

This would help me widen my search and guarantee success!

Thanks,

Keith

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
LG don't have a list for repairers.
They are the worst company I've ever had to deal with.

Sorry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

I did not ask for a list of repairers!

Below in italics is what I asked for!

I'd appreciate an answer (if you can), to the above question. It does not have to be right away. If you need to do some research, that's no problem. I can wait till tomorrow if needs be.

Regards,

Keith

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
I didn't say you asked for a list of repairers.
I said, LG don't do a list for repairers, never mind the public.

Sorry, it would take too much time to try and compile such a list.

I'll opt out of your question and open it to all again.
You never know your luck, someone may already have done a list.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Adam,

I seem to have just got common sense rather than expert answers from the professional who's chosen to opt out of the question.

I'd appreciate it if the question was directed at a professional with a track record of dealing successfully with questions related to LG washing machines. That way I'd be more likely to get the specific technical advice I need.

If you think you could do this, please repost the question but with the proviso suggested above.

Let me know what your course of action is likely to be.

Regards,

Keith

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for replying.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Keith,

I read through your problem and to be honest this is a very common problem LG has with their washers. However, I might be able to help you with this. What I need is the serial number of your unit. There are several fixes, but depending on the serial number will determine which way I can go. Now I will tell you that I'm in the United States, and the part I will come up with will be coming from here if you like. Otherwise I can see if I could give you some cross numbers and you can see if those parts are tangable in your country.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, I opted back in to your question after spending a few hours on this secondary question.

Just so there's no confusion here, I was an engineer for the LG agents. There were very few of us in the country.

I still have the service manuals up to the time I left them and certainly have a good success record in repairing them.

You were getting expert answers, and correct ones.
Initially you asked if there was a compatible board, there isn't a compatible board, that's why it's listed as obsolete.
Only the board for this range fits.

LG do not have a list of machines that a particular board fits, for trade or public.
I've had to trawl through parts and service manuals for the range your machine comes from to compile the list.

The following machines are all from the same range and use the same display board. I did not find a board from any machine outwith this range that was used in your machine.

WM1080FHD
WM1085FHD
WM1280FHD
WM1285FHD
WM1480FHD
WM1485FHD

Washer dryer boards do not fit your machine.
Boards from any other machine do not fit.

Hopefully this will help in your search for a board.

Hope this helps
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello techdesk,

Thanks for your answer. It certainly sheds light on my question. Assuming it's the display PCB that's at fault, I can now widen my search for alternatives thanks to the info you have supplies.

I assumed it was the display PCB as the on/off switch would work only with a lot of "jiggling" and then stopped working altogether. Also, when I took it out of the machine, the printed circuit tracks leading to this switch seemed less clean. In your experience, is this usually a display pcb switch that is at fault? Can I confirm this with a circuit tester with the board out of the machine? If so. would I be looking for just circuit continuity or would I need to take resistance readings?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Keith

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
I would suggest taking the board out, cleaning it (with pcb cleaner) and then resoldering the switch connection.

It's possible the tiny switch is faulty, if I remember rightly they are surface mount so you could swap it with one of the other switches (preferably one that isn't used) to see if it cures the problem.

If testing the switch, then it's a simple continuity test.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello techdesk,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll give it a go and get back to you.

Regards,

Keith

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
No problem. Good luck with it.
Would be great if it's simply a bad switch.
You could cannibalise virtually any facia board then to obtain a switch.