Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

I have a Miele t650c model 31312203. It started leaking at

I have a Miele t650c model 31312203. It started leaking at the bottom of the door when on, and when i open the door there is condensation on the inside of the door. This condensation rises up on the front panel of the machine. i have cleaned all filters, and jet washed the condenser unit. I called an engineer out he replaced the front seal of the condenser unit as it had a kink in it, but it is still leaking from the door he recommended a new front seal for the door. It is still in good condition with no holes or kinks, but cant think what else it could be. I would be grateful for your advice.

Mrs P Price
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi Mrs. Price, Thank you for using Just Answer. One of two things are happening here; (1) even though you can not see it is, your seal could be bad. Sometime micro tears happen with use (opening and closing of the door) and they develop a wear pattern. A seal will also flatten out and will lose connection to what it's suppose to seal to. This too will prevent it to work proper. Now with this in mind, bring me to my second point (2) your door could be warped or bent just enough to prevent the seal to do it's job. I have seen in some situations (not many) that the door was bent. Either they came that way when it was bought new, or it also happens with hard use. After a period of time and your seal wears, it can't do it's job. You might be able to just replace the seal and be good to go with it. (Cheaper than the door) I would also have you look at the hinges and lock assembly. Make sure the hinges are tight with no movement either up or down or side to side. Also the lock assemble will come out of adjustment as well with use. This is easy checked by putting pressure against the door ans see it there is movement between the door and the unit. You'll have to forgive me, but I can't remember if there are adjustments with-in the lock assembly. If there is, you should be able to see it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Gary :

Another trick to see if your door is out of adjustment is to put a dollar bill between the door seal and the unit. If the dollar bill is hard to pull out, you have a tight seal. If it comes out rather easy, then you know where it is. It should have the same pull all the way around. Since it's leaking on the bottom, take your dollar bill and put it on top and pull it through, then do the same on the bottom. If the bottom pulls through easier, then it confirms the seal isn't doing it's job. From there it will give you an idea where to look and see if your door is out of adjustment or if it's just the seal. Again if you have any questions, feel free to call on me.

Customer:

Thank you for the good advice. I will try this out over the weekend.