Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

My Rayburn cooker is not performing due to build up of carbon

My Rayburn cooker is not performing due to build up of carbon in the oil feed pipe and burner.This is happening now at frequencies less than 6 months.It is the drip feed rather than pressure jet type.Should I change my oil supplier or would you recommend pumping out the tank before fresh oil added.I have also read about fuel additives which may reduce carbon build up.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer;

Gary :

In reading your problem I was wondering if you have an in-line filter from the holding tank and to your cooker. It sounds like you may have a lot of sediment build-up in your tank. You get this every time you fill your tank. Dirt from the fill hose brings this in, as well as every time the cover cap is open. Depending on how old your holding tank is, and what it's made from you could be experiencing some inner break down causing deposits to fall from inside the tank and settle on the bottom. Every time you fill your tank this sediment stirs up and needs to re-settle again. In the meantime you are drawing from the tank pulling this stuff into your lines that are plugging up. As for additives, I wouldn't be to quick to use them. The older units are not build to burn "thinner" oil. In fact some of them use the oil as a lubricant internally. When your tank is down see if there is a way to run a stick or something on the bottom and see what comes up. If you bring up sludge, then this is what's causing your problem. If you don't have an in-line filter I would suggest you install one. This will greatly reduce your build up and it cleans the oil before it gets burned. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know. Gary