KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Panasonic Microwave Oven Model No. NN-T590WBBPQ Serial No.

Customer Question

Panasonic Microwave Oven Model No. NN-T590WBBPQ Serial No. D4112634

Clock is set. Light is on. Panel sets a time. Table rotates.
BUT does not heat at all and seems to emit an acrid smell.
Worked perfectly yesterday.
Please can you advise
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

If the microwave doesn't heat there are number of things that might have caused this issue, as the light is on and table rotates so it seems the door switch and thermal fuse are fine...from what you have described it seems that the high voltage transformer might be burned out. Microwave ovens produce a very high voltage in order to power the magnetron which emits the energy that cooks the food. When a high voltage transformer fails it will usually arch and have a burning smell.

KevinWhiteJA :

As the problem is with HV unit, I won't recommend this as a DIY as it has a charge of more than 3,000 volts and the HV capacitor should be discharged before starting any repair...

KevinWhiteJA :

sorry for the bad news but the cost of repair will be around £170+ repair charges

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks