Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

how do I access the wire loom in a whirlpool American fridge

Customer Question

how do I access the wire loom in a whirlpool American fridge freezer possibly damaged by mice?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

Gary :

Hi and thank you for using Just Answer ... Could you please provide me with the make and model number of your fridge ... thanks Gary

JACUSTOMER-3cwfz2w2- :

Whirlpool American Fridge freezer model 3KES0GKQNL00, Code 9XXX-XXX-XXXX0

JACUSTOMER-3cwfz2w2- :

Sorry Gary the model no is 3KES0GTQNL00 - I had a 'K' instead of 'T'.

Gary :

Thanks, for the correction, I was about to ask you to double check ... Please give me a minute and I'll be back Gary

Gary :

Can you get to the control boards?

JACUSTOMER-3cwfz2w2- :

Not sure where they are. I am not an engineer. He checked out all functioning parts and they were clear. Only the wiring remained and he could not access the looms rising from the open panel at rear bottom of appliance. Meters show there is a short in the upper ice box wiring but there are no panels allowing site of the looms to enable him to check rodent damage. How can he access the upper looms. It looks like the wiring goes from bottom of appliance to top but split to 4/5 fans etc. the problem is in the looms. Do you know how to access? this appliance is about 9 years old.

Gary :

Does your fridge have the "Ice maker" option?

JACUSTOMER-3cwfz2w2- :

Yes, icemaker and water dispenser.

Gary :

If it does, you can back track the wires from the ice maker to the lower part of the fridge where you have access to.

Gary :

Can you get to the power supply to this ice/water maker?

JACUSTOMER-3cwfz2w2- :

Yes but all of the power supplies to the various functions checked out clear. When the appliance is plugged in it trips the whole house immediately. When the icebox/water is disconnected there is no tripping so the fault is definitely a short in the upper wiring probably caused by a chewing and probably a fried mouse according to engineer.

Gary :

To save you some time and headaches, you can check the wires from the point to where they plug into the ice/water maker to the lower part of your fridge where you have access. By using an OHM meter, you can attach one part of your meter to the point it plugs into your control board, and with the other part of your meter, you can test the wires. (one by one) If you have a short in this harness, it will tell you. Each wire should be on it's own accord. Meaning if you have a black wire on top, and at the back bottom side of the fridge you should find this same black wire. Now an OHM meter will tell you this when you connect it. One one top and the other on the bottom. Now, if you leave the meter attached to the black wire on the bottom and move to a different color wire on top it should not read. Some meters have a built in alarm for this kind of thing, so it shouldn't sound. If it does then you know where your problem is because you just verified it. Now you might have to make a longer lead wire coming from the back of your fridge so you can see the meter, and use it on the front side. If you confirm you have a short after all of this, then to get access to this wire is not going to be pretty. In short you'll have to remove the "inner" panel of your fridge to get to it. It's a lot of work. In most cases, people will abandon their ice/water dispenser and let it go. Another question I want to bring up is: when you unplugged the upper part of your fridge, did you do in from the backside? If you did, I would suggest you disconnect it from the unit it's self. Sometimes these makers and disperser will go bad and create a short.

Gary :

I understand you said you found mice evidence, but it is very seldom mice will crawl up between the panels of the fridge and start chewing on wires. If they do get in there, their nest is on top of the fridge in between the panels. But as cold as it is, and in most cases the fridge are insulated the mice won't bother. They usually nest on the bottom part of the fridge where it's warm from the compressor.

JACUSTOMER-3cwfz2w2- :

Thanks Gary. Will this still work when the loom rising from the bottom of appliance branches out before reaching the top?

Gary :

Yes it will. All the wires from the control board goes to the upper part of your fridge. When you start, you'll need to disconnect (unplug) the ice maker and water dispenser from the actual unit it's self. When you start to test, start with one wire at a time on the bottom of your fridge. Then from where the loom plugs into the makers, go through each and everyone of them one at a time. Just remember this the power wire that provides current to this options might be the same wire. So don't think there is a short right away. You might see the same color wires on both. However, where the short will come in is when you take a different color wire to test and you get a reading. That will be your short. If nothing shows up, move to the nest wire on the bottom and do it all over again. It'll take time, but it's a lot friendlier that tearing a part the entire fridge. If you get no signs of a short after this test, then your ice maker or water dispenser is bad. Also look at the plug at each of these. Check for burnt or black spots ... this will help narrow down your problem as well.

JACUSTOMER-3cwfz2w2- :

Ok Gary. It's back to the drawing board to try out your suggestions although it will be Monday now before I can get the engineer. Thanks for your help and good night (morning I mean!)

Gary :

I hope it all works out ... please let me know how it works out for you.