Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a whirlpool AWO3761 that agitates and completes the

I have a whirlpool AWO3761 that agitates and completes the cycle but gets stuck at the spin cycle. It will spin at slow speed but just rotates slowly and continuously instead of the high speed spin.

The door lock will flash occasionally for 1 second or so every 2 minutes roughly.

The machine is otherwise normal and I've checked the door switch, cleaned the pump and the checked the pressure hose and physical action of the pressure switch, all seem fine.

Any ideas, at 8 years old its probably not that economic to call in an engineer for a big repair.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

What kind of load is in there at the time?

Also have you tried it empty and if so is it still the same?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

Tried it empty and full, I've also tried giving the drum and good shake to try and reset it, in case it was off balance.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok what this may be is worn brushes in the motor. As when they go you get the fault with the door lock light coming on. So if they are very worn they can still just about tunr the drum but will cause it to play up like its doing now.

To check you need to pull the washer out and lean it backwards against a wall and get someone to hold for you.

Then lay down and look under the washer.

There at the back of the motor either side you will see the carbons.

Take them out from the motor and see if they have worn down.

If so then replace them and see how it goes from there.

Fingers crossed its just worn brushes.

But if they are fine then its either the motor itself or the control board which both of these are very expensive and on an 8 year old washer isn't worth fixing im afraid as you could get a new washer for not much more then the parts are on yours.

But well worth checking the carbon brushes first as it may just be them and they are easy to fix and are about £20 for the pair.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doubt its the bushes as I changed them about a year ago and it gave me an error code to tell me.

Any other diagnostics to suggest before ditching the machine?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok have you tried a test cycle?

Turn the dial to the drain setting and let it show 0:02

Then look at the row of button in the right and number them from left to right with 1 on the left which should be the reset button.

You need to press button 6 twice

Then button 5 twice

Now it will run a test cycle and if it picks up a fault it will show the error code.

You may need to try it a few times to get into test mode as it doesn't always work first time.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

Test cycle completed with a display of "FA".

Cheers

Nick

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok that's strange as FA error code is a aqua stop error code ie water leaking into the base.

But looking at this model it doesn't show there being a flood switch in the base.

But worth checking the plumbing make sure the drain hose is at least 3/4 the height of the washer and if it goes into a stand pipe make sure its not fully pushed all the way down. I know its probberly not but worth checking due the error code as the water level may be dropping during the wash.

But if that's all ok then its possibley the control board at fault here.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.