Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

m/c wont drain. Have tested pump circuitry and is o.k.

Customer Question

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Is the pump being powered when it should run?

Can you post the E-Nr number of the appliance please?
It will be very faintly etched across the top of the inner door.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not sure if pump runs as can't see it. M.C. goes through the cleaning cycle, indicator reads "O". E-Nr: SGS45C02

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, I'm confused now.
You said you had checked the pump circuitry.

What have you actually checked?

The E-Nr number is short, there should be at least 2 more letters a / and then 2 more numbers.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

connected a meter across pump terminal, showed closed circuit. I read that as continuity and circuit o.k. E-Nr just taken again. Reads SGS45CO2GB/02

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, so the motor might have a closed circuit.

Manually remove the water.
Take the filters out.
Remove the water from below the filters.
Look into the sump bowl and you'll see a cover that can be taken off.

Copy and paste the following into a new browser window.
Page 22 shows this cover and removal.

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/TCcustomBSH/controller/download_file?PDFOBID=sgBlLmhcdcso0pdmdb---1Bk&UMOBID=sgBlLnacdcso0pdmdb---1Bk

Clean any debris you find in there.
Ensure the pump impellor can turn by turning it manually.
Refit the cover properly and try the machine again.

Does it now drain?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, but have already done all that earlier. Filters clean, pump can be turned manually. I then ran m/c but still not emptying.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, sorry, I'm not to know you've tried something unless you say so.

Have you checked the drain hose where it connects to the hose drains?

Is the drain pump running if you select a new program?
Is it being powered?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks; will check hose connection. How can I see if pump is running with the washer door closed. As soon as the door is opened the power cuts off. However, will try another programme to see if water drains. Programme takes some time. Will report a.s.a.p. Stand by.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Listen to it.

The first thing it does on new program is run the drain pump.
You hear it.
If it's not running, you should hear it hum if it's jammed (or dead headed) and if you hear nothing, it's either failed or not being powered.

To check if it's being powered, take the panels off.
Hook the multimeter to the pump wiring.
Run the leads out to your meter.
Plug in the machine and start it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have selected "normal" programme for a test; running time: 140 mins. The difficulty with this model of hearing if the pump is running, or otherwise gaining access to it, is that access is from the bottom. This means that the m/c must be rotated through 180 deg.to allow any work to be carried out. This, of course, prevents the m/c from being run at the same time..

On the "normal" setting a warning of "check water" has come up at 50 mins. The drain pump is running but the water inside has not been drained.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya
If the drain pump is running and it's not emptying then it suggests there's a problem with the cover over the pump or the pump itself.

Take the left side panel off and watch as it tries to empty, what's happening in the drainage channel in the large tank on the side?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think that you have the wrong m/c model in mind. Access to the pump with my m/c is from the bottom and to work on the pump the m/c has to be turned over 180 deg .Last night I ran a "normal" programme which is 170 mins. the m/c stopped with 50 mins. remaining. I can hear pump running and a "check water" signal has come up. I have the impression now that there is blockage between the pump discharge side and the discharge hose. Is this likely and what to do?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
I don't have the wrong machine.
You don't turn the machine upside down to work on it either and you can certainly watch it working with the side panel off.
(Turning it upside down can introduce problems that will be extremely difficult to sort out, the machine is designed to be laid on it's back to work on the underside components)

I've asked you to check the discharge between the pump and the house drains.
Take the side panel off and look at what is happening in the metering tank.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

O.K. Point taken. Every man to his own last. Metering tank is mt.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
What happens in the tank when it's trying to empty?
The rear 2 ports are the drain.

Is water rising and falling there but failing to go up and over into the rear tube?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

pressed start and m/c running. indicator light "check water" extinguished and metering tank drain ports full. R u speaking from the States?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No, I'm in the UK.

You start the machine.
The drain pump runs.
What happens in the metering tank.
Only interested in the outgoing water.
Is it coming through the metering tank?
or, does it just alter the level in the tube a little, going up and down.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the m/c has stopped after 10 mins, the "check water" light is on again, the drain pp. is running and the level in the two tubes has reached a blue mark which I suppose is the max level. Previously when I started the m/c, it filled and the water levels rose and fell. Everything is now static and the pp. is running. However, there was a little discharge from the outlet hose, now stopped.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, your responses to my questions are not really clear at all.

If there's water inside the machine and the pump is running, it should be pushing water right up the 2nd from the rear tube and down the 1st from the rear tube.
If it's not doing that, the fault lies with the pump or the pump cover.

The check water light is coming on because the water isn't being pumped out.

Your fault lies with the pump and or the chamber cover.
Check the cover over the pump is fitted properly first.
If it is, you'll likely need to try a new drain pump.

I am assuming you have checked and confirmed the drain hose is clear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, have checked drain hose is clear. The 1st and 2nd tubes are full and water level does not move when pp. running. How do I gain access to the chamber cover, please?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
You had the cover off when you initially checked the pump impellor.
I posted the link to the user manual earlier.

If the cover isn't on properly, it can't pump.

The ports in the metering tank shouldn't be full though.
That would suggest a blockage in the drain hose.

Check again, what you're reporting back isn't making logical sense.

The tubes should be low levels until the pump fills them up and the water comes out the drain hose.

If they are filling, the hose is blocked somewhere.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I'll re-check the pp cover and the drain hose.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, no problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. Have checked the pp cver; is on tight and no sign of leakage. However, this time when I turned theimpeller it rotates jerkily and not smoothly. Disconnected the drain hose from the pp and it is clear, no blockage. The ran the m/c on a rinse programme and the two rear drain ports remained mt. You must be right, I need a new pp which I shall try to buy today. Many thanks for your patience and advice.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
The pump doesn't turn smoothly, it resists and pings round.

If everything is clear it has to be the pump or the pump chamber (the chamber is created by the fitting of the cover).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

o.k. I understand. Is the drain pump the only one in the m/c? Does it perform a dual purpose, i.e. turn the rotating spray arms as well as drain the m/c at the end of the wash programme?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Yes, it's the only drain pump.
No, it's got nothing to do with spraying the water, there's a larger pump for that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

o.k. I can't think of anything else to ask you. I'll fit the new pp. when it arrives. Cheerio, out. Alf Robinson.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, hopefully it's the pump and not the cover.