KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

My boiler is not working properly - it comes on for a few seconds

Customer Question

My boiler is not working properly - it comes on for a few seconds and then switches off and then the fault indication shows as F1. When I try to re set it it the same code appears again. I think there is a fault with the fan. Am I right? If so, please explain the technical process for replacing it and the costs involved approximately so that I can decide whether the whole boiler needs replacing.

Many Thanks

Ludwik Marzec
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi Ludwik

KevinWhiteJA :

welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

KevinWhiteJA :

and how old is it ?

Customer:

I don't know the full model number. I can only tell you it is about seven years old.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

Does it make any different noise as well when the fault appears ?

Customer:

It makes a bit of a whistling noise which wasn't there before.

KevinWhiteJA :

First thing is to make sure the gas is on and available...if it is then it is ignition fault...will depend on many other things

Customer:

The gas is on because it heats for up to a few seconds before it goes off again. There is something going on with the ignition because when you switch it on there are sparks visible around the ignition.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, when was it serviced ?

Customer:

I'm not aware that it has been serviced in the time we've had it. It had the standard gas safety check.

KevinWhiteJA :

the spark electrodes should be checked...basically it seems servicing the unit might solve this problem...will cost you around £100 approx. including repair...might work for few more years

Customer:

That sounds a bit vague - what exactly do you mean by 'servicing'? Will any parts need to be changed and if so, which parts?

KevinWhiteJA :

At times servicing the electrodes/valve solves the issue...if not then usually it is solved after replacing the gas valve.. I believe the Air/Gas Ratio problem, is the cause of the "whistling" noise that you hear

KevinWhiteJA :

If the gas valve is also fine then the electrode will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

I don't think any other parts can cause this issue

Customer:

Will it require a specialist glow worm technician to carry out these checks and do a replacement or can a corgi man do it?

KevinWhiteJA :

Well as gas valve is involved so I would recommend that this should be carried out by a specialist engineer

KevinWhiteJA :

you can either contact the manufacturer or a local engineer

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges....

Customer:

OK, we will try by changing the electrodes first and if that doesn't work then we will look at the gas valve. Thank you for your help. I will get back to you then if I need to ask anything else.

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years