canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a ten year old oven. The fan inside is still working

I have a ten year old oven. The fan inside is still working and the outside light on the control panel but it is not generating any heat and the inside light is not on.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro : Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today.
canuck the pro : Will the fan come on?
canuck the pro : Does the oven get slightly warm or not at all?
Customer:

Yes the fan comes on but no heat at all

Customer:

Sorry did you get my last reply?

canuck the pro :

What is the model number of the oven? Is it gas or electric?

Customer:

Model no is HB90557GB/05. Its electric

canuck the pro :

Do you have a multi-meter and do you know how to use it?

Customer:

I'm not sure what a multi-meter is! The oven works off a single socket fitted purposely for the oven. The top half of the oven/grill is still working, so only the bottom half (full oven) is not heating up

canuck the pro :

I see. A multi-meter is a tool that is used for testing voltages. We could be dealing with a failed element. I am looking for the wiring diagram of the oven to confirm. I will be a couple more minutes....ok?

Customer:

yes that's fine. thanks

canuck the pro :

Do you have another bulb that you can put in the socket to see if it lights? I suspect that the element is faulty but wonder about the light not working also.

Customer:

I am not at home, so will not be able to look until this evening. Can I continue the chat tomorrow or can an engineer come out to check the appliance? I no longer have a guarantee so understand that I will have to pay an additional call out charge. Can you advise?

canuck the pro :

I think that since there is not a way that we can really test the voltages to confirm what the issue is, that would be what I would recommend. The best I can offer is that if you confirm that the power is on and no fault is displayed I can only suggest what it may be so that you can be prepared for when calling someone out. Inspect the element in the oven for obvious signs of failure. I suspect most likely that the problem is caused by a burnt out element and it has shorted the bulb.

Customer:

I can confirm that the power is on and no default is displayed. Can I arrange a call out through you? thanks

canuck the pro :

We do not schedule any repair services. If you contact Siemens they can recommend service technicians in your area that will be familiar with the product. http://www.siemens-home.com/ae/contact.html

Customer:

Okay thanks for your help and advice

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome and thank you also. I will certainly be here if you have any technical questions at all. You can still ask questions even after rating my service also if something comes up. I will always respond. Mike

Customer:

Thanks. How do re-enter this site. Do I need a reference number and is there an additional charge?

canuck the pro :

No additional charge. You can log in and it will log you into your account and you can enter your questions that are still open and review any questions that are closed. If you entered your email address you should be getting an email for any responses on your questions also and you can follow the link from your email.

Customer:

thankyou