Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I need an owners manual for a CDA 796/2. The CDA website

Customer Question

I need an owners manual for a CDA 796/2.
The CDA website has a link to download manuals in PDF but when I try, it says the page cannot be found.
(My problem is that the fridge and freezer apparently defrosted whilst I was away for a week. This wasn't requested!)
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

That button you see in the fridge is the fast freeze switch.

Now Whirlpool actually make these appliances so ive got the manuals for this. It comes in 2 parts so ive uploaded it for you. Click each link and follow the instruction and you can download and save them.

Manual 1

Manual 2

Hope this helps but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much Daniel.

The manuals are very clear - but I'm not sure if I still have a problem.

To be very detailed on what happened; we were away from the flat for one week, and on our return, discovered that the freezer and fridge compartments were both at room temperature. The fridge light was still working. As I didn't have a manual (none was left for us when we bought the apartment) I tried pressing the switch in the fridge compartment next to the thermostat dial. The light in the switch illuminated, and I heard the compressor kick in. At the time, I thought one of us must have switched it off before we left home, but now I know the purpose of the switch (fast freeze.)

So, I wonder if there is another problem? Do you have any further ideas or checks that I could make?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok so is the fridge and freezer cold at the moment?

Is the fast freeze turned off still?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fast freeze is turned off.

The freezer seems to be remaining cold, but the fridge is not as cold as it should be. The thermostat knob "clicks" between 4 and 4.5, but when left at 5, I don't hear any noise from the unit. It has normally been left at 3.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok this is just a static fridge freezer so it has a thermostat and a single compressor which cools both the fridge and freezer.

If its knocked on by itself and defrosted then the compressor may have cut out. As its running now but the fridge doesn't seem cold enough again this may be a weak compressor. Unable to pump the gas around the fridge evaporator. So what happens is the compressor over heats and cuts out and defrosts the freezer.

Just see how it goes from there and if the fridge starts to get to warm then im afraid its looking like a system fault.

In this case a fridge engineer will need to fix this as it will need to be checked out to see what pressure the compressor is running at and the gas level.

But this isn't a cheap repair as a new compressor is roughly between £150-200 mark.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Daniel

We will monitor it, but I suspect that you are right. If it doesn't sort itself out we will replace the entire unit as it is at least ten years old.

I will be leaving an "excellent" rating for you. Thanks again.

Roger

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

That's the best thing if its still not correct replacing it will be a lot better then fixing it.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Daniel, have you received payment for answering my question?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Yes I got it many thanks.

Daniel