canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My Franke Insinkerator has stopped working. At first the water

My Franke Insinkerator has stopped working. At first the water filled in the sink and wouldn't empty. This has happened before and I waited and added hot water. Usually it empties but not on this occasion. With a filled sink I left the machine running for about 5 minutes. It just stopped. No power!! Help
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is this a garbage disposal?

canuck the pro :

If it is a garbage disposal, was it humming before the power was gone?

canuck the pro :

If this is what you are having troubles with

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

Then you will first have to put a bowl under the trap and remove the trap and clear the blockage

canuck the pro :

Then there is a spot in the bottom in the centre that you can put an allen wrench in and manually turn the blades to remove the blockage there

canuck the pro :

Then push the little red button on the bottom to reset the power

Customer:

There was a purring sound but I assume this the normal sound after waste is mulched

canuck the pro :

The blades were probably locked and that is why the power tripped. If you follow the directions I just put all will be well. There is a blockage in the trap and that is stopping the water from draining. There is certainly a blockage in the blades. If you have any questions about the directions certainly ask and I will clarify.

Customer:

Ok I will try that Mike At this stage I'm somewhat knackered. Can I get back to you tomorrow and continue or how does this work?

canuck the pro :

Totally alright. Good luck, we're all counting on you!

Customer:

Cheers!

canuck the pro :

I think your tomorrow comes much sooner than mine. It is 815pm here. Cheers! (I am about to have my first beer of the night too!)

Customer:

Hello again. Cant find where allen wrench goes or reset button??

canuck the pro :

The allen wrench goes right in the middle of the bottom of the disposal. The reset is a little red button on the bottom also.

Customer:

Hi again. I have just taken every pipe apart and finally solved the problem. Blocked pipe! There is a black cylindrical shape at the bottom of the mount but no allen key inlet. You mentioned blocked blades! Didn't need to unblock any blades but appears to be working fine again.

Customer:

Thanks anyway

canuck the pro :

If you read my first response that is exactly what I was referring to was a blockage in the pipe trap. For future reference here is a view of the bottom. This is where the reset and the allen wrench slot is:

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

I am very glad it is all worked out. Let me know if I can help further. I certainly will. Mike

Customer:

Hi again. Just to let you know the bottom of my Franke insinkerator is nothing like the photo. However problem solved. Thanks again.