Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a maytag MTD09HPWH, It is only a year and a half old

Customer Question

I have a maytag MTD09HPWH, It is only a year and a half old and almost from day one the clothes, when dry, have a damp smell to them, the room that they dry in gets very smelly too. Is there an inherent design fault with the machine in that it can take up to 2hrs to dry towels thus giving a breeding ground for mouldy smells. Is it worth getting a service engineer involved. The drum has a slight squeaks when it goes through its stop then start cycle during drying.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

I do a lot of Maytag work on the new models and the older models and to be honest its not something ive come across before.

Is the room the dryer is in a small room?

Is it well ventilated aswell?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is in quite a small room and the door is often left open, it does not feel humid in the room, the dryer is a condensing type.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok condenser dryers need a good ventilated room so if the door is open then that should be enough for it to work all ok.

Im taking it the condenser chamber at the bottom is cleaned often?

If so then its possibley a blockage in the steam chamber. As fluff can build up and cause blockages and this can cause the smell.

As when you use the dryer it shouldn't come out smelling no dryer

should do this. As long as you don't leave the clothes in there for long periods once its dryed then its looking like a fault on the dryer.

Give Maytag a ring and get them to book a service call. Then hopefully they engineer will call out and at least strip it down and clean it all out. That's what I would do if I came across this fault. As sometimes we do get calls like this not just Maytag but all other brands and giving it a good strip down and clean usually cures it.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will put a call in to maytag, if they confirm that it is a blockage in the steam chamber then i will be happy to pay your fee. Thank you.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

No worries if its smelling as you say that's all it can be nothing else in there will cause this fault.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If there is a blockage in the steam chamber would that prevent the clothes from drying?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

If it was really blocked up it can do but other times its stops some of the water from draining into the water chamber and going up to the water bottle so the water that gets stuck starts to smell.