Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

DH93K Hotpoint oven. Monday night during cooking something

DH93K Hotpoint oven. Monday night during cooking something on the oven blew and tripped the main fuse. Reset fuse but oven would not heat up on main fan setting on dial. Thought element had blown and replaced it. Oven will still will not heat up on main fan setting at '3 0'clock position' but heats up on setting with no fan at '6 o'clock position' on switch. Top grill works OK. What has gone wrong?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
3 o'clock and 6 o'clock use different elements.

Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

Have you checked the wiring to the element?
(if you changed it from inside the oven, you'll need the oven out to see if you've "dropped" a wire).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took the oven out, marked the 4 wires and replaced with new element.

I have got a multimeter but the manual only deals with the user and doesn't show engineer's details. i.e voltage readings. The wiring on the element from right to left at the rear is yellow-blue-black and the 4th connection is linked to the 3rd. The outer connections are to the outer perimeter and the inner 2 are to the main centre element.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You don't test live.
The wiring diagrams aren't colour coded either.

I think you've replaced the top element, am I correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I replaced the top element, the bottom one is working OK. The top element seems to work OK on the grill setting.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK for the fan oven setting, there's another element in your machine.

I'm advising on the most common cause of the problem you have.

Isolate the power to the appliance. Disconnect it from the electrical supply

I am assuming the temperature light is on, so the most likely cause of the problem is a failure of the circular element in the oven.

The method of changing will depend on the element fitted at the time of manufacture.

There are 2 types, one is held from the front by screws, the other is held from the rear by nuts.

If the interior light is on the rear panel, take the light glass off first.

Take the rear panel inside the oven out.

This will reveal the element and the fan.

Take the screws holding the element in place out.

Bring the element and the wiring into the oven cavity.

(Be careful not to pull the wires off as you manouver the element into the cavity, if you do, you'll need to take the oven out, rear panel off to be able to retrieve the wires. Don't try the machine if you have lost a wire, retrieve it first).

If the element is not obviously blown, you need to test it with a multimeter to see if it's open circuit.

Swap the wiring on to the new element. (Don't lose the wires into the back or you'll need to take the appliance out and remove the panels to retrieve them).

Fit the element in place and replace the cover.

Turn the power back on and set the clock.

Try the oven again.

If there are no screws holding the element in place, take the cooker out and take the rear cover off.

You can now access the wiring and the nuts holding the element in place.

If the element tests ok, let me know.

Obviously, if you cannot do this work yourself, you'll need to call someone in to do it for you.

Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes or if you need more help