Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Whirlpool AWO/D 4405 Washing machine - lights on front panel

Whirlpool AWO/D 4405 Washing machine - lights on front panel flicker when drum starts to turn - drum starts to refill, turn, flicker, refill etc.

Drains fine, looked in from top and underneath - no earthwires loose.

Any ideas?

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If you set the washer to a spin only is it doing the same?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, if I set it to spin same thing happens - lights flicker off-on.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok check the wring going to the motor at the bottom and check for any broken

wires.

Also if you can check the carbon brushes at the back of the motor. To be honest I don't think this will cause the fault but checking as you never know with these washers as they can cause strange faults.

But if that's all ok then im afraid you are looking at a faulty control board here. As to be honest its usually only ever the control board which causes this kind of fault anyway but worth checking the motor brushes and wiring just in case.

But if it is the board then this will need to be replaced. But if you do replace it make sure you get the programed version as they sell both the programmed one and the blank one which needs the software to program it.

But these boards are very expensive. In fact all parts from whirlpool are so given the price sometimes its best to just replace the washer.

But if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I propped up the machine an dran the spin looking underneath - I see sparks coming from the back of the motor - not where the carbon brushes are. Does this mean the motor is shot?

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

If the motor is sparking but not were the carbons are then yes the motor has gone

the only place they should spark from is were the carbons are and only when they are low.

So im afraid the motor is looking faulty here but it could still have taken the board out as if its sparking like this it could cause a surge and take the board out, ive seen it before on washers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I propped it up from the opposite side and checked all the connections near the motor. One spade connection seemed to be loose so I pushed it home. Machine seems to be working OK again now.

Many thanks for your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Nice one glad to hear its sorted and it was just a loose wire.

But keep an eye on the sparking though. Was the sparking from the loose wire and has it now stopped?

If it wasn't then just keep an eye on it as it shouldn't be sparking. You may get a few little sparks from the brushes as this is just lose carbon so clean excess carbon dust off it and that will stop the brushes from sparking.