KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Hi, I have a whirlpool ADG 9540 dishwasher and the machine

Hi, I have a whirlpool ADG 9540 dishwasher and the machine wont start the wash cycle, it will spurt out the water and the is no blockage. By pressing the start button I can only get the first programme light to come on and the end light, none in between and the machine wont start the wash cycle ?.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

and have you cleaned the drain pump assembly completely ?

Customer:

Hi, I would say the machine is pretty old years plus at least, I havent cleaned the pump assembly, where would I find that ?.

Customer:

Andrew.

Customer:

Ten years old at least.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

KevinWhiteJA :

the drain pump is located inside the bottom front of the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

you can either remove it from inside and clean everything

KevinWhiteJA :

or take the bottom front panel off to clean it

Customer:

The machine is heating the water and spitting a small amount out at the end, it seems like the two white bits that disperse the water and spin around wont do that ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes usually these issues are caused due to faulty or blocked drain pump assembly

Customer:

okay which is the easiest way to check this, there seems to be a silver plate that runs along the bottom of the machine,is this the best way in ?.

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes please remove that...make sure the unit is unplugged and clean out everything inside...make sure there is no blockage inside

Customer:

Okay I have that silver panel off the bottom, what is the pump assembly ?.

KevinWhiteJA :

Please check this Image

KevinWhiteJA :

this is the drain pump assembly

KevinWhiteJA :

located inside the bottom of the unit

Customer:

Okay think I have it although it looks a bit different, would it be held together with three small screws ? and coming from the top there be a white pipe that appears to go the bottom of the machine ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes right...basically you should not remove any part instead just make sure everything is clean and there are no blockages anywhere

KevinWhiteJA :

also make sure there are no leaks

Customer:

Should I try to remove these three three screws ?, I have removed two but cant even see if there is another one around the other side let alone remove it ?.

KevinWhiteJA :

After the panel from the bottom is removed and the water from the base is completely drained...restart the dishwasher and just watch it run for a bit and see if its leaking from anywhere.

Customer:

Should I put these two screws back in ?.

KevinWhiteJA :

yes please

Customer:

Okay have done that and re started, the machine has emptied the water as usual with no leaks. The machine seems now to want to start its cycle but wont, its making a small humming noise all the pipes are getting warm but the washing cycle doesn't seem to start ?.

KevinWhiteJA :

and where is this humming noise coming from ?

KevinWhiteJA :

I mean from the top or from the bottom ?

KevinWhiteJA :

and does it fill or straight away makes that humming noise ?

Customer:

I feel the noise is coming from the bottom of the machine, the bottom of the machine is now full of water again, albeit a small amount. Now the noise has stopped again and so has the machine, if I hold down the start bottom the machine empties as per and then Im back to square one.

KevinWhiteJA :

As it drains fine so I believe the drain pump is alright...the humming sound usually comes when the motor is bad

KevinWhiteJA :

so it seems this unit requires a new motor assembly

KevinWhiteJA :

you can try to replace the brushes as they will cost around £18 ...if you decide to buy a new motor...it will cost around £95

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

If its the motor though, then why would the water go in and out ?.

KevinWhiteJA :

Water goes in with the water inlet valve and goes out with the drain pump

Customer:

Okay, I just want to be sure before I chuck it and go to the expense of purchasing another.

KevinWhiteJA :

I understand

KevinWhiteJA :