Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi, I have a Bosch Exxcel 7 WAE24468GB which is only 3 or 4

Hi, I have a Bosch Exxcel 7 WAE24468GB which is only 3 or 4 years old. It was recently washing well but making a notice which I called out a repair man to look at and it turned out to be a coin in the pump. A few days later it began to switch off after a couple of minutes and required turning off and on again at the wall, each time cutting out after a couple of minutes. I called the same man back and he identified that the heating element needed replacing, which he replaced. A couple of days later it started sometimes loosing power and sometimes washing but taking far longer than it should to complete a wash. The man is due to come again tomorrow and thinks this is due to fluff build up not letting enough water through...I'm starting to wonder if I just need to cut my losses and get a new machine as this is already getting expensive! I have two small children and am drowning under piles of laundry. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Gemma
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You need a different repairer.

Can you explain what you mean by losing power?

The wash program being extended is normally due to not heating.
This can be the heater, wiring and/or control board.

Not sure how he's arrived at a fluff build up not allowing enough water through.
Water comes in direct through the dispenser and into the tub.
There's no fluff to go through.

Is the machine still going dead?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the machine is still going dead, intermittently. And sometimes even switching on and off at the wall doesn't work unless left for a while. By losing power, I do mean it goes dead.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, so he's failed to repair the fault with a new heater and now the program is extended (when it does work).

I'd begin by checking the power source and the mains lead into the machine.

If these are definitely ok, it's pointing to a main board fault.

The main board also controls the heat so this may be related.

If he doesn't sort it out, I'd suggest a fixed price repair from British Gas or Knowhow. (Currys).

They both offer fixed price repairs that include all parts and labour.
British Gas will spend more to repair than Knowhow.
British Gas have a no fix no charge policy too.

I know British Gas charge £125, reduced if you put the machine on contract with them.
You would need to check with Knowhow for their pricing. (I think it's similar but no reduction).

At 3 to 4 years old, I'd be looking to repair the appliance and not looking to scrapping it.

Good luck tomorrow.
Post here if you need more help/advice on this.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's very helpful thanks. I didn't know that British gas did that. Not holding out any hope for tomorrow. He says he won't charge me for cleaning what ever he thinks needs cleaning, but if you think it's pointless then I'll probably cancel and call British gas. Is there any chance it could be due to an issue with a blockage in the pipes that take the water out of the machine, which is what I think he meant?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
I'd let him come and check.

Your first fault would have been something in the pump so any fluff should also have been cleaned out then.

If it's still the same, get British Gas out.
You'll either have it fixed or for no charge, you'll know to replace it.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Just in case it doesn't get sorted out today, copy and paste the following into a new browser window.

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/home-electrics/one-off-electrical-appliance-repairs.html

It takes you to the page for fixed price repairs at British Gas.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, just to update you, the guy came and cleaned stuff and it still didn't work. He tried looking at the control board and could see nothing obvious. Then he tested the power cable and plug and found there was no power to the appliance. He tried a different plug socket and it worked perfectly, so believes that having the tumble dryer and washing machine in the same double socket and running at the same time made it too hot. Possibly the element going had an impact on this. Phew. Would have been really gutted if we had bought a new washer only to find it was the socket! Your advise on trying the power to the appliance was spot on! And he didn't charge. Many thanks for your help. Very relieved.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for letting me know how it went.

Good luck with the appliance.

To be honest, he should have found that on the first visit.
Not to worry, he got there in the end.

Hope this helped