Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My Hotpoint Washing Machine WML 540 P started to give problems

My Hotpoint Washing Machine WML 540 P started to give problems yesterday. The water intake light was flashing, I checked and cleaned the water intake filter , no problem , I also cleaned out the pump, no problem. The issue now is the machine will switch on , all lights will come on , it will take water in but only a couple of 22 second bursts, however it will not progress beyond the first cycle (water) light.
My machine is just over 3 years old. Any thoughts?
Norman Ballance XXXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
When it stops, is it the wash light that's flashing?

Errors are indicated by the lights on the right,
Number the column of lights with 1 on the bottom.
Which number flashes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no the light does not flash, the short fill of water is followed by the water light remaining on constantly , however no further progress is being made.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.
I understood from your question that the light was flashing.

However, if it's stopping with no error code showing (flashing lights) then it's normally a motor fault.

What happens if you select spin only?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I select spin it will pump out the water , but will not spin. If i select pump by it's self it will pump out OK.

Cheers

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

It's the motor movement I was interested in, hence the reason I asked about spin only.

It confirms you have a fault on the motor circuit.

Unplug the appliance.
Take the rear panel off.
Check the wiring to the motor plug.
Check for any breaks in the wiring.
If ok, unplug the motor and take it out of the machine.
Check the carbon brushes.

If worn out or broken, you need to fit new ones.

If the brushes are ok, you need to test the motor (or have it tested) and if that's ok, your main control board is at fault.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me.
Obviously, if you cannot do the work yourself, you'll need to get someone in to do it for you.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it could be the motor , my wife insists on using the 1400 spin, i'm sure that would mean the machine would be under more pressure more often. Our last machine lasted 17 years and had onlt a 1000 spin.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, I wish it were an easier fix, it could turn out an expensive one if it's motor and the board.

Worth checking the wiring and board though, I've had broken wiring before and it's an easy enough fix.

Brushes are straight forward too, just a pain getting the motor out, back in and the belt back on.

Hotpoint will do a fixed price repair, parts and labour inclusive.
You need to call them for their latest repair plans and prices.

Good luck with the repair.

Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK