Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My Zanussi zwd 1271 W washer/dryer will wash, spin but not

Customer Question

My Zanussi zwd 1271 W washer/dryer will wash, spin but not dry. Once the laundry has been spun it stops and beeps the error code E20. Any ideas or suggestions?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Have you cleared the filter?

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

Yes thanks

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

The filter is clear

canuck the pro :

Since the filter is clear, is there any blockage in the drain hose? If the drain hose is sealed to the drain it may be air locked also.

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

No blockage in the drain hose

canuck the pro :

If the end is clear then you will have to remove the hose and check to see if the blockage is at the other end of the hose.

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

How do I remove the hose?

canuck the pro :

If you pull the machine away from the wall, do you see where the other end of the hose connects to the machine? Is there a connection that you can take loose from there?

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

Sorry it has been checked recently i understand

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

Also the water is draining from washing

canuck the pro :

The error code indicates a drainage issue or pump issue. That isn't what is happening?

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

Yes, I'm aware of that and have googled

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

A plumber checked the drainage pipes and I have checked the filter

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

Any more ideas?

canuck the pro :

Ok. The pump runs and it drains. When it is supposed to be drying then it stops? Does it seem to heat before it stops?

canuck the pro :

You have tried it on different heating settings?

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

Yes it stops after spinning and before drying

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

You mean different drying settings? - Yes

canuck the pro :

There may be an element not working or burnt out. You would have to access the elements and check that there is continuity with a multi-meter. Are you familiar with using this tool and checking voltages?

canuck the pro :

When the plumber checked the filter did he check for debris behind the filter and if the pump is running when in the spin cycle?

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

In answer to question two - yes

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

in answer to your first question - I do not think there is a voltage problem

canuck the pro :

I am not wanting you to check the voltage but do check the continuity on the element. If it is failed there will be no continuity.

canuck the pro :

I will be away for a few hours. I will try to check in the meantime if you have further questions. Please let me know if my information has helped and if not I will certainly continue to assist you until you are drying clothes again. Mike

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

I don't have the kit to check continuity

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

I was trying this to avoid getting someone out, but i would need to pay call out to check something like that

canuck the pro :

I am sorry to hear that . I wish it were one of the easier things to diagnose but there possibly could be an issue with the element are you sure about the error code being E20?

JACUSTOMER-6e9to3jw- :

Yes. I switched it into manual mode, rather than a preset and it dries fine, so i think this is just a configuration problem.

canuck the pro :

So it is only a matter of the setting? Very good! Excellent news that the machine does not require surgery! If I can help further I will be here. I see you had tried rating but the rating system was not activated. It is now but if you are rating negatively certainly let me know so we can work it out. Mike.

canuck the pro :

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?