Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a hotpoint wmal621 washiing machine, fault is machine

I have a hotpoint wmal621 washiing machine, fault is machine will not start any programme. If I manually override the door lock and open and close the door, the programme starts but for less than 1 second.

Hope you can help

Tony
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Are you getting any flashing lights from it?

When you try and start it normally will the door actually lock?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, just sits there with programme and door lock lights on.

Yes door locks OK

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if the door is locking but its not starting then you need to check the carbon brushes in the motor. As if they wear down or stick it causes faults like this.

Remove the motor from the back of the washer and from there look at the back of the motor.

There either side you will see the carbon brushes.

Take them out and inspect the and see if they have worn down or got stuck.

If worn then you need to replace them. If stuck free them off.

Then retry the washer and see how it goes from there.

Check them out and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think it is a brush problem, it doesn't get into the programme far enough to turn the motor, it won,t even fill with water?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

If the brushes are worn it doesn't even start a cycle.

A lot of washers now a days route the power through the motor so if it picks up an open circuit motor it doesn't allow the cycle to start.

Its not like the older models were if the motor brushes are worn it still starts but doesn't turn.

This is a common fault on Hotpoints and a few other brands were the door locks but doesn't start so well worth checking them first and seeing what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Daniel, I'll check that out, It'll take a while so I'll sign off for now.

Is it possible to pick this string up later?

It's only about 18 months old, but the wife works it hard. This is problem No. 3, don't think I'd buy another HP

Tony

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tony.

No problems mate check it out when you can theres no rush on my side.

Once we know if its the brushes or not we can go further.

But just a thought while its pulled out if the brushes are fine remove the main control board on the back to the left of the motor and just check for any visable signs of burning aswell.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Brushes free and plenty of meat left on them, I've taken out the control board, no obvious signs of burning

Tony

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok strange how it isn't giving an error code here so its not picking up a fault inside other wise you will have error codes by flashing lights on there.

Is it doing this on all cycles?

If so it may actually be the door lock itself at fault. As if you are bypassing it and its starting a bit then stopping its possibley the lock itself at fault here.

Again you cannot really bypass locks no more on washers as they switch a few switches inside the lock rather then just the 1 like they used to.

But other then the lock its possibley the control board itself.

But well worth replacing the door lock first as you may find its just this.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Daniel

On all cycles, starts when door closes but only for a second. No flashing lights.

Any recommendations where I can buy a door lock?

Tony

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Try these its about £11 and that includeds postage as well.

Click here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Daniel