Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hi I have an 8 year old whirlpool american style fridge

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old whirlpool american style fridge freezer which is freezing the food in the FRIDGE compartment. This has happened before and cost me lots to fix but seems to be a common fault! Can I sort this out myself? I have already spent about £400 in the fridge's lifetime getting it fixed! Is it time to bite the bullet and get a new one or is there a simple solution I can try first?
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hello sorry to hear that and I understand,
Is there any excessive frost in the freezer on the rear wall?
Also may I have the full model #?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No no ice in freezer .... where do i find the model and make? Sorry!

Thank you Michael

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo, thank you.
Please open the fridge door and look on the side walls for that info;-)
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

really sorry there is nothing on inside of doors! Have looked all over it! Possibly it's at the back but too heavy for me to pull out at moment may have to wait half hour for husband's return?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi sorry its not on the doors, it should be on the inside wall of the fridge on the right or left wall.
Please check there;-)
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry yep hidden behind veg drawer .... S2OE RBB2V-A/G ...

Is this what you need?

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Jo,
Unfortunately this is a control board issue as I suspected. I wish I had better news for you but to fix this you would need a new board, they are expensive. About $200. US.
I had a whirlpool myself and had to change the board twice ridiculous I think.
The board is easy enough to replace but then if you have a tech do it it would be double in price due to labor:-(
You can try adjusting the temp up a bit to see if that helps at all.
Please let me know what you would like to do, I will here for you in any case.
please rate kindly and I will schedule free follow ups for you;-)
Thank you Jo.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Actually this is really helpful .... I am fed up with paying a huge amount every 18 months on this fridge so I appreciate your honesty! Are all american freezers like this ... I have to get a new one do you have a recommendation?

Thank you for your help today I have rated you as 5 .... I didn't want to pay £85 and wait 2 days to get that answer!!! You were quick and honest!

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo thank you , this is just a bad design on that model.
The others are mostly good, but we all get a lemon every once in a while and i really wish i had a better answer for you I really do.
Have a great day and best of luck with your new fridge:-)
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks .. you too!

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo, please try to rate again as that didnt go through for some reason:-(
Tech Mike