KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

We have a Samsung side by side fridge freezer model no. RSH1.

We have a Samsung side by side fridge freezer model no. RSH1. The temperature in the fridge has increased to 13 degrees and pressing the temp adjustor will not allow me to reduce it down.
Additionally the water dispenser is not working (filter light is on but this has been on some time and the water has been working until today).
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

KevinWhiteJA :

and how old is it ?

Customer:

Model no. is RSH1DTMH

Customer:

It's around 5 years old

KevinWhiteJA :

Do you hear any different noise as well ?

Customer:

It was making a buzzing noise a few days ago but it's not now.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK and I believe that was not a loud buzzing ?

KevinWhiteJA :

This seems to be a common issue with Samsung RS and few of there RF models as well

Customer:

Noticeable but not very loud.

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, the problem seems to be with the defrost system of the refrigerator...if this fails the unit is unable to defrost and so the ice builds up & the unit won't work

KevinWhiteJA :

you can leave the unit unplugged for 24 hrs and then take the rear of the unit to check for any ice build up at the back

KevinWhiteJA :

also, the water dispenser not working confirms that there is Ice build which is causing this issue

Customer:

So does the defrost unit need to be replaced?

KevinWhiteJA :

If the problem returns after it is unplugged and after ice build is cleared then defrost thermostat (temperature sensor) should be replaced

KevinWhiteJA :

as it is a known issue with these Samsung units you can check with the manufacturer if they can provide free repair...you can call them and tell them your refrigerator has cooling issues...they might do it under extended warranty

KevinWhiteJA :

You can call them at 0330(NNN) NNN-NNNNfrom Monday - Saturday: 9am - 6pm

KevinWhiteJA :

however, I would still suggest you to leave it unplugged for around 24 hrs and then clean the Ice build up

Customer:

I assume I can't unplug the fridge in isolation and keep the freezer running?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes unfortunately you will have to unplug it which will unplug everything

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

OK, thank you. One more thing...when you say the the rear of the unit, do you mean the back panel through the doors or the actual rear of the whole appliance?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes, take the cover behind the drawer off after you have unplugged it ...then take the drawer out in the fridge and then take the cover off of the evaporator....

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years