canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I am not sure what has just happened but I have paid a deposit

I am not sure what has just happened but I have paid a deposit to get some help with a dishwasher outlow problem that I have. I have a brand new Hotpoint dishwasher which seems to be fine except there is a problem with the way the outflow is plumbed (I think) which means the machine is not clearing and so stops the cycle. Help!
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Did you install the dishwasher yourself? When you installed the drain pipe did you take it out of the strap on the side of the appliance?

Customer:

What strap on the side? As far as I am recall, the machine came protected in polystyrene, plastic with 1 x 2 batons. I took all of these off and then the connected the inflow and outflow and plugged in. My old machine's outflow went straight into the sink waste down flow by way of a hole (with a white plastic tightening ring). It was not really secure so, on the advice of B&Q (yeah I know!) I bought a new piece of downflow with a "Christmas tree" connector and connected the outflow onto this with a metal tightening ring so it was safe. All of this made sense!! However, I am not sure why the machine does not seem able to empty through this connection.

canuck the pro :

It sounds that there is not an air gap installed. You would need an air gap installed on the outlet pipe so that the drain does not get air locked.

canuck the pro :

I will be away so my responses may be delayed as I check in time to time.

Customer:

What is an air gap and what does it look like? At the moment I literally have a plastic pipe with a softer rubber end

canuck the pro :

Can you send a picture of the connection that has been made to the plumbing? This is an example of a dishwasher air gap:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hi. The model no is Hotpoint FDYF11011G. I have taken 3 photos - the piping, the end of the outflow pipe and the back of the machine but for the life of me, I can't get them to attach to this message as it only seems to relate to internet site photos. Is there any other way I can send them? To AOL direct?

Customer:

Sorry meant to Just Answer direct?

canuck the pro :

You can send them to my email [email protected]

Customer:

Thanks have just sent them over

canuck the pro :

I do not see it. Could you confirm the email address is [email protected]

canuck the pro :

Alright. I got the pictures. Did you remove the plug on the end of the dishwasher drain before connection? Is the drain for the dishwasher coming through the cabinet up high or lower?

Customer:

Question 1 - do you mean the end of the pipe or something inside the machine? I don't recall the pipe having anything on the end except the rubber end in the picture - certainly not anything like a plug or a block on it. As to the inside the machine, I took of the cap to the salt container and returned it but I haven't done anything else inside.

canuck the pro :

Not inside the cabinet of the dishwasher but when the drain exits the dishwasher and is directed to the drains at the sink you had to drill through the cabinet, right? Is that hole lower to the floor or higher to the counter top bottom?

canuck the pro :

Does the discharge back up into the sink or the dishwasher?

Customer:

You can see where the pipes come out of the bottom of the machine. The entry for the pipes into the cabinet is at the bottom RH corner immediately above the bottom of the cabinet. The pipes then lead up about 40cm or more to the connections. The inflow connector is slightly higher than the outflow connector (Xmas tree). The discharge pipe goes straight into the Xmas tree connector which is part of the main sink downflow piping and then into the u-bend.

canuck the pro :

The discharge pipe should be much higher and come through the cabinet just below the counter top bottom or you can strap it after entering the cavity. See if that sorts it.

Customer:

Okay thanks - I will get the tape out and have a go. Will be back in touch either way but may take a little time.

canuck the pro :

No problem at all.

Customer:

Right, I have now had one full empty cycle and one full full cycle if you see what I mean - both successful! When you suggested raising the pipe level I got in the kitchen cabinet upside down and got a good look at the fittings immediately under the sink drain to see what I could rig to elevate the pipe. About 6" above the connector I had been using, there was another connector that I didn't even know was there with a small stopper in it (I presume to ensure it didn't allow any water out) and I connected the outflow pipe to this with the tightening metal ring to secure it and it seems to be working fine now. Thank you for all your help. My kitchen no longer looks like a bomb has hit it and I have learnt more than I ever thought I wanted to know about under sink plumbing arrangements!

canuck the pro :

It is still important to raise the pipe. You can simply put a two hole strap on it and strap the pipe to the back of the cabinet. Don't tell your friends what you know! You might end up getting a call to put their new dishwasher in! Glad to have helped and very glad it is worked out. If something comes up you can still ask questions even after rating my service. I will always respond. Mike

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber