Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Our SE64M350GB/36 dishwasher when switched on takes in water

Our SE64M350GB/36 dishwasher when switched on takes in water then drains it out and will only do this continually, any suggestions?

Colin.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi Colin, welcome to Just answer

Customer: Hi Kevin
KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Hello :)

Customer: bought about 4 years ago but only worked for about two by time it was installed and not been used for ages.
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, can you take it out and clean the drain pump assembly completely....also lay it on its side by around 45 degrees so that if there is any water inside it comes out

Customer: had tried that, and the drain pump seems to be ok as it keeps draining after it fills?
KevinWhiteJA :

Yes drain pump is fine it seems that the pressure switch is trip and it is causing this issue

Customer: i wondered if a level switch was not being made?
Customer: where is pressure switch on this model?
KevinWhiteJA :

it is located inside the unit near the drain pump assembly

KevinWhiteJA :

as it is not used too much I believe cleaning the pump assembly completely should solve this issue

Customer: Unbelievably I have switched it on to cycle and it appears to be working!
KevinWhiteJA :

Great :) if the problem returns you will have to clean it completely

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

Customer: Is the pressure switch part of the pump assembly or a separate part?
KevinWhiteJA :

no its a separate part

Customer: Does it set the correct water level? It seemed to be pumping out when water level got too high with the pump coming on with the high level float switch?
KevinWhiteJA :

Yes the pressure switch/water level switch is the part that controls the water level

Customer: I will let you know if it completes the cycle, it was only 34
KevinWhiteJA :

ok, I will wait

Customer: thanks , how would I get back in touch at a later time if required ?
KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service if you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer: Hi Kevin , no luck water continually filling and draining , "tap" symbol in display, and water in base of machine higher than should be, will empty out water and check pressure switch and get back to you.
KevinWhiteJA :

Ok sure...please let me know how it goes

KevinWhiteJA :

also check for any leaks in the bottom of the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

and make sure to lay it 45 degrees to drain the water out completely

Customer: Hi Kevin , struggling to identify any level/pressure switch other than high level micro switch.
KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

check this image

KevinWhiteJA :

this is the float

KevinWhiteJA :

just make sure you have cleaned everything from the drain hose and pump assembly...

Customer: Noticed you typing but didn't receive any thing.
KevinWhiteJA :

oh I have sent the image and few messages

Customer: Got them now
KevinWhiteJA :

OK :)

Customer: got to go out now but will try again on my return cheers
KevinWhiteJA :

Cheers

Customer: Checked everything clean but still the same. So don't know where to go from here? Still think its a level switch but the one with the float you showed seems to be for the high limit switch.
KevinWhiteJA :

the float switch assembly is located near this float and near the drain pump assembly...did you lay it on its side by around 45 degrees ?

Customer: Yes had it on its side and took pump off, all clear . Water still filling up to high level then that float switch making and pump then pumps out and refills when level drops.
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, if everything is fine then the float switch assembly will need replacement...will cost around £14

Customer: Float switch seems okay as it seems to do what it is supposed to which is to stop it overfilling? Seem to think there should be another water level sensor of some sort?
KevinWhiteJA :

Yes but it won't start the cycle...I mean it fills with water and then simply drains it nothing starts...if you believe the float switch is fine then check the heating element...as everything else is fine it is the heating element that has to be tested with a multimeter

KevinWhiteJA :

no continuity bad element if continuity is there then either the relay on the control is bad or the drain pump itself is bad

Customer: Got 26 ohms across element, drain pump pumping well, if control board it sounds expensive so may have to get engineer in to verify?
KevinWhiteJA :

ok and you are sure the float is not stuck & is fine...

KevinWhiteJA :

the heating element has continuity so it is fine

Customer: Yes both fine , float micro switch making and breaking . Is there no other level sensor to check?
KevinWhiteJA :

as per my experience I have seen that the problem is usually solved by cleaning everything and by check the float/flow switch located near the drain pump assembly towards the right

Customer: only float switch I can see on this one is directly behind the pump.
KevinWhiteJA :

well I believe you cleaned everything from the drain pump, sump hose below the filters..even the hose from the drain pump...and you are also sure that the float is not in upright position

KevinWhiteJA :

as you know the pump running all the time is caused by the anti flood switch being activated and so the float/pressure switch should be checked

Customer: Pump does switch off after a few seconds of pump running but then water fills in again and that anti flood switch switches it back on.
Customer: Just cycles like that continuously
KevinWhiteJA :

Yes and that is why I still believe the problem lies in that area near the pump

KevinWhiteJA :

if everything is fine there then I will check the electronic control

KevinWhiteJA :

and yes I would recommend to get the control checked by local engineer

Customer: still not sure how the water level is controlled to stop it going to high limit
KevinWhiteJA :

The float is for overfill and anti flood

KevinWhiteJA :

the unit starts control detects float is not positioned correctly so will drain the water

KevinWhiteJA :

then it starts they cycle again

KevinWhiteJA :

and so on

KevinWhiteJA :

if there is something blocked anywhere inside then also you will see same problem

KevinWhiteJA :

if there is rust as well on or near the float the problem will still be there

Customer: With the sump empty after cleaning the pump when the water goes back in there must be a control to shut the water off to a working level?
Customer: appliance clean and no leaks or corrosion
KevinWhiteJA :

as per what you have told me I believe the problem is with the pressure chamber..unfortunately I can just tell you what all should be checked as I am not in front of the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

If you believe I have not helped you or if you are not satisfied with my assistance then I will opt out of this and open it to all again so that someone else might be able to help you

Customer: not sure what you mean by pressure chamber?
KevinWhiteJA :

the anti flood device

Customer: still seem to think there should be another level switch of some kind?
KevinWhiteJA :

no

Customer: what stops the water going in at a level before it trips the anti flood switch?
KevinWhiteJA :

The float and a micro switch (float switch/pressure switch) detects water leaks/spills and automatically puts the washer in pump out mode.

Customer: that to me would seem to be a safety switch and not the normal level switch?
KevinWhiteJA :

unfortunately there is no safety switch other than the float switch assembly

Customer: Okay, I know it's not easy for you when not on site. Looks like I need to get someone in cause I've really just double checked what I'd done before today thanks for trying.
KevinWhiteJA :

No problem....If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry to jump in on the question, Kevin isn't online at the moment so I can't contact him about this.

If your machine starts off as it should by emptying first, then it fills for a while before going into a fill and empty loop it would suggest the flow meter is at fault.
(Siemens call it an impellor jug).

This is located at the bottom rear of the machine, toward the left side.

To access it, you need to take the machine out and lay it on it's back.
(onto towels as water will come out of it).

Then, you'll have full access to it.

Unplug it and plug it back in several times, then reassemble.
Try the machine again.

In a lot of cases this can be enough to get the machine working again.

If still the same, you need to try a new impellor jug.

Copy and paste the following into a new browser window, it will take you to a supplier and show a picture of it.

http://www.siemens-home.co.uk/store/product/Impellerjug/00424099

If I'm reading your question correctly, this should sort out the problem for you.

Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your advice, it is something I hadn't checked before so was hopeful but after stripping it out and blew through it and the impeller turned and whistled freely the problem is still the same. Is there any way to test it's operation?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Nope, no way to test it.
It sends impulses and if the magnet is gone, it will still rotate but no pulses will be received.

Google it, the impellor jug is a very common problem.
If a new impellor jug doesn't sort it, you're left with wiring and control board.

You didn't need to strip it out, simply unplug it and plug it in several times.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't know if help diagnosis but when it's cycling and the door is opened there is tap symbol in the display?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
The tap symbol indicates a water problem.

As long as the drain pump isn't running when the door is open it's near certain it's the flow meter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thanks, XXXXX XXXXX ordered a flow meter on line and will let you know how it goes when it comes.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Just wondering how you got on with the flowmeter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Expert, fitted impeller jug on Friday and gave it a couple of runs and all seemed to be okay! Not had chance to try it since but don't anticipate any other problems. Thanks fo your help, you were spot on first time. Will send positive rating.
Don't know if you can answer this but do you know if this was a one off payment fee, as what I thought, and that I have not entered to a monthly subscription contract?
Thanks again!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
For the subscription question, you need to contact customer services.
I don't have access to your account details.

Glad you got it sorted out and working again.

Good luck with the appliance.

I'd appreciate it if you could rate my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rated the answer earlier with first reply today?
Cheers.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Got it thanks.