Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My aeg induction hob (C67600K) has a warm patch between the

My aeg induction hob (C67600K) has a warm patch between the two back rings when unit is off. Everything else works fine ( except for one of the induction rings at the front which died years ago). Is this a common and repairable fault?
Trish
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
This would suggest the power board is still working, even when the controls are off.

It could be linked to the faulty induction ring.

Are you in the UK?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I'm in the uk. The warm area is between the two halogen rings; I had an AEG engineer out when one if the inductions rings stopped working, and was told that was not repairable. My worry is there may be a fire hazard if part if the hob, where there is not a ring, is warm when unit not being used.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for that.

Induction hobs are extremely expensive to repair.
The boards are in the hundreds of pounds so you could end up with a repair cost exceeding replacement cost.

However, if you take advantage of the British Gas offer or the Knowhow (Currys) offer, they both offer fixed price repairs that include parts and labour.

With British Gas, if it can't be repaired, there's no charge.
I don't know much about the Knowhow offer as I've not heard from anyone that's used it.

I'm not sure why the AEG engineer would say it's not repairable, unless he meant isn't not an economical repair.

In between the rings you have all the electronics and there will be heat from the transformers, but, this could be associated with the already faulty ring or signs that another is failing.

I'd suggest trying a fixed price repair.
If you go with British Gas, it's going to cost you nothing to find out if it's not repairable.
(you need to call them to see if they cover your area).

If you want to repair it yourself, I'll need the product number from the label on the underside of the appliance to get the correct part numbers.

Check it out, see how you get on and get back to me if you need more help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for this; I'll try British Gas and see if they operate in my area. I wouldn't feel confident in doing a repair myself. The oven door and heating element, and light bulbs are as tech as I get!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Good luck with it.

At least you'll find out if it's not repairable for free.
(I think you pay up front and get a refund if it's not repairable, but they should explain it all to you).

If it is repairable, then it's an extremely cheap repair for an induction hob.