KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Hi there, I have a Hotpoint washing machine WMD 740 P/G/A/K It

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have a Hotpoint washing machine WMD 740 P/G/A/K
It is stopping midwash saying that the door is unlocked when it isnt. I open and reshut the door but it wont restart, displaying the same error.
I have tried switching it on and off but it cant seem to register that the door is locked and displays the error again.
I had some success when I switched it off at the mains but it gets to the end of a program and displays the error again.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.
Regards,
Tracey Gaunt
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi Tracey

KevinWhiteJA :

welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Sorry to hear about your issue

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me how old is it ?

Customer: purchased 2009
KevinWhiteJA :

Thanks...

KevinWhiteJA :

the problem is with the door interlock assembly that is bad and will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

if you want to do it yourself let me know so that I can tell you how to do it

Customer: Is it an expensive part and if I got someone in to fit it would it take long?
KevinWhiteJA :

Hotpoint WMD740PUK.R Mechanical Door Interlock
Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

this is the part available here for £15

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer: Is the part I need costly?
Customer: Would it take long to fit?
KevinWhiteJA :

No not that long...should take around 5 minutes for a repair engineer

Customer: Am willing to try replacing the part myself but how would I go about getting it?
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, check this Video

KevinWhiteJA :

you can follow the instructions in the video to replace the door interlock mechanism

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

Customer: thank you so much, we have ordered the part. The video was really helpful and given us the confidence to have a go ourselves. I aporeciate being able to contact you again should we have difficulty. I'll let you know how we get on!
KevinWhiteJA :

Sure, thank you..

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

We received the part you specified and were able to fit it without too much difficulty. Unfortunately, the display is still saying "door open" and consequently wont start the wash program.

What do you advise mow.

Unplug the unit and plug it back after 2 minutes, simultaneously press and hold the START/PAUSE button...If the problem returns and If you have installed the part correctly then please check the wiring harness from the door to the control...if that is fine then take off the connectors from the control and reconnect them one by one...to check if the problem is solved...let me know how it goes.

Kevin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kevin,
We tried unplugging the unit and followed your instructions but the "door open" error still occurrs.
We checked that the part was fitted correctly, which it seems to be. We cant remove it to check because it is securely clipped in position now (we cant unscrew it like the original part).
Can you clarify what you mean by taking the connectors off one by one? The new part does not have individual connectors but one large connector.
Do we have the correct replacement part? It does look different but did seem to connect okay.
Thanks for your help.

I mean remove the connectors from the control...to check if everything is fine there...if you have purchased the part that I have advised earlier then yes it is the correct part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kevin,

New part is firmly clipped in position so unable to remove it and check connection but it feels like it is connected when we feel inside the rim of the door to reach it.
Still not working. "Door open" error still appears and it sounds like it is trying to lock.
Could it be something else?

The only other thing that can go bad is the control itself however, I still believe the problem is with the door lock...the latch mechanism should also be checked.

Kevin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Kevin,
We checked the latch and it all seems okay. Decided it was time to call a technician out to check the machine. He checked power to the door lock mechanism and all was well. He checked the original door lock and that was okay too so concluded it was the control board and not the door lock. Given the cost of a new control board it may be better to buy a new machine.

Can I get a refund on the new door lock which wasnt faulty but wasnt the cause of the problem.

Regards,
Mrs Gaunt
Hi Mrs Gaunt

Sorry to hear the bad news....Yes you can tell them that door lock was not the problem and they should refund the amount..

Kevin