Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

i have a stainless steel neff hood with lights and extractor

Customer Question

i have a stainless steel neff hood with lights and extractor fan.
the fan works but the lights flicker or don't work at all.
i have checked the bulbs
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
How old is the hood and when did this first occur?
Also may I have full model #?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the hood is 14 years old. it first happened a week ago, i called an electrician who came today and said it is not the electrics but an appliance problem.

should have thought of it myself as the fan is working.

model number

D-FX41-4

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that information.
Does this happen more often when the switch is pressed repeatedly?
Or will it just happen all on its own at any given time?
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

now the lights just don't work. it happens when you switch it on the lights flicker. the one time i left it on, it triggered the fuse box. i have not repeatedly tried.today when the electrician was over we tested again with working light bulbs, one side does not work at all, one side slightly flicked but basically not working. seems like something in the contact between the light bubs and the casing but odd that this has happened with both lights at the same time

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that as well,
This is likely a bad main control. It would cause this to happen, but it could very well be a loose or corroded wiring connection inside. Did you want to work on this?
If so I can help you further but you will need a cheap multi meter for testing a few things and some basic hand tools. It isnt a seious issue though and just about any local Appliance tech could fix this for you easily;-)
Please let me know I will help in any way I can even if you need a good appliance shops phone information if so, just let me know where abouts you are located and I will see who is available to do this and who has a good record.since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I said I just had the electrician over who seemed to think it was not a mains problem. I would be happy to follow instructions. I don't have a multi meter on me but do have tools and can switch off the fuse box.

I know there is power to the unit as the fan works

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi I agree,
with the electrician the trouble is in the range hood.
You will need to remove the panels to access the wiring for the lights and the switches, please let me know when you are that far, but a meter would help in this case, Radio Shack sells inexpensive ones that would work great for this;-)
Please rate before closing this page so I can set up the follow ups, it will ensure we dont get disconnected or the question timing out, it costs you nothing more to do that.
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have removed panels and light covers

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Ok good, please check the light sockets visually for any wear, also with power on and please use caution, try the switch for the lights.
You really would do well to use a meter so we can be sure of whats happening. Also do you see the control board in there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no visual wear and tear, power on for lights but no light bulbs inside. when power on for fan, fan works.

sadly no control board visible, just one black cable that feeds into power box, presumable splits into two inside one for fan and one for lights

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Ok thats fine for now, At this point you will need a meter to verify a bad switch for the light as I suspect is the issue. Or you could simply order a replacement switch?
If you want to do that I will help you with the best place to order that part. If you had a meter we could be positive that is the problem.
thank you
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry but what switch are you referring to?

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi I am talking about the light switch;-) it needs to be tested for continuity.
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you mean the socket that the bulb is screwed into?

I am afraid i will need to get a mutli meter to check if the switch/ socket is ok. will need to do so tomorrow as here in london, shops are closed now

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
That will be fine, the sockets are not the likely cause of this I'm afraid, but it could be a bad wire or a bad switch.
I will be here all day tomorrow for you;-)
Have a great evening!
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think you are right and it is the switch element,

very expensive here in london, and don't think i can change it myself as can't work out how to remove the element.

just found out the model number is d8602n0gb/01

so think i shall have to order a neff repair man.

thanks

yael

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi I understand, its a bit tricky but yes its still worth having that fixed.
Have a great day!
Tech Michael