Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hi. My Neff coffee machine seems stuck on cleaning process

Customer Question

Hi. My Neff coffee machine seems stuck on cleaning process and has been telling me for three Months to 'fill pipe system's which I've done hundreds of Times. Help!
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is Mike and I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The coffee machine is needing a little cleaning. Here are directions on how to do that. Tools and Materials needed to fix this problem are as:
* White Vinegar * Fresh Water * Volt-ohm Meter * Screwdriver
Step 1 - Clean
If your coffee maker seems to be clogged, try cleaning it with a mixture of white vinegar and water. Assuming that your coffee maker has a 12 cup capacity you will want to use 11 cups of vinegar and 1 cup of water. Fill the coffee pot to the 11 cup mark with vinegar and then fill it to the 12 cup mark with water.
Pour this mixture into the reservoir and turn on the coffee maker, allowing it to run through a brewing cycle as if you were making a pot of coffee. By doing this you will dissolve any build up in your coffee maker. If the coffee maker is leaking because the pump is clogged, then this might clear the clog and stop the leaking. If it has been a while since you last cleaned your coffee maker, you may need to run the vinegar through more than one cleaning cycle to dissolve all of the buildup.
Step 2 - Pump Valve
Unplug the coffee maker and examine the pump valve. If the pump valve is broken or has a clog, then the water will not be able to rise up and flow through the fill tube. When the coffee maker is turned on, the water needs to go someplace. If it cannot flow through the fill tube, then it may leak onto the countertop. If the pump in your coffee maker is sealed, you will need to replace the whole pump. If the pump is not sealed you should check it to ensure it is not clogged with coffee grounds or mineral deposits.
Step 3 - Brew Switch
Examine the brewing switch to ensure that is working. To get to the brewing switch, remove the base plate. Next, you will need to test the switch with your volt-ohm meter. Touch the tester to the RX1 scale. If it reads 0 ohms then you will know that the switch works fine. If it gives you a number other than 0 then it is time to replace the switch.
Step 4 - Tube Connectors
If the coffee maker is leaking or sputtering then you should take a look at the tube connectors. Many times, a leaky coffee maker is caused by faulty tube connectors. If you find the leak is in an elbow, clean the surfaces before you replace it. If the tube connector leaks, replace both the tube and the elbow so that you can be sure the pieces will both fit together properly.
To decalcify, you will be needing a : decalcifying cleaner and A container large enough to hold the same quantity of liquid as your water reservoir
1) Remove the machine's water reservoir. 2) Empty all liquid from the reservoir. 3) Fill the reservoir with warm water. 4) Add one packet of the recommended cleaner to the full reservoir and stir until the cleaner is dissolved. 5) Return the water reservoir to the machine. 6) Turn the machine on. 7) Set the large container underneath the steam wand. 8) Set up your machine so that hot water -NOT steam-will be emitted from the steam wand when the steam valve is opened. 9) Open the steam valve according to the manufacturer's instructions. 10) After all of the decalcifying solution has drained into the large container (within a few minutes this will occur), remove it and discard the liquid that has been collected. 11) Rinse the water reservoir thoroughly and then fill it with the type of water you usually use for brewing. 12) Return the water reservoir to its normal position. 13) Using only water repeat steps 7 through 9 until the water reservoir is empty again.

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

My machine is the built in Neff c766on1 and instructions say no vinegar. None of your answer applies

canuck the pro :

Interesting. Give me a few minutes?

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

Thanks!

canuck the pro :

Do you know the model number?

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

I'll check

canuck the pro :

Never mind you already put it on your comment.

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

Ef688/04. I think

canuck the pro :

Have you ever run the descale mode? Cleaned the filter?

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

I've descaled before, never done anything wwith a filter

canuck the pro :

You have run the descale have you run the clean mode also?

canuck the pro :

There is a cleaning tablet for that.

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

It won't let me just keeps telling me to fill pipe system. I keep pressing cafe to run water through

canuck the pro :

Hmmm. The message is "fill pipe system"?

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

Yes. I've done it dozens of Times. Each time I fill water container it takes about ten presses of cafe button and emptying trays a few times then we start all over again!

canuck the pro :

The nozzle must have a blockage in it blocking the water from going through. I am looking for instructions on how to clean the nozzle. It should just be a matter of pushing the cafe button....we will get you there again.

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

canuck the pro :

It looks like you can unscrew the nozzle with a coin. remove it and rinse and wash it with dish soap and if necessary poke any debris out with your poking tool (anything you can poke in it that won't break off maybe a needle)

canuck the pro :

If you have just run it be careful that no hot water scalds you. I don't think there will be any water trapped in there but there might.

canuck the pro :

I'll be logging off. The next suggestion I would have if the nozzle isn't the issue is there may be a blockage in the pump or pump tubing. It is below the water tank. You would need to remove the pump and investigate if you can blow through the tubing and remove the blockage from there or the tank. Possibly the tank is not seated in there well either.

canuck the pro :

You can still comment here but I will not see it until I get up tomorrow which is about 6 hours from now.

canuck the pro :

Still here.

canuck the pro :

So the nozzle cleaning got everything going and you are enjoying an expresso?

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

Nozzle seems fine. Can't get at any tube though

canuck the pro :

Are you able to locate the pump below the tank?

JACUSTOMER-gsfd7wkn- :

No

canuck the pro :

I am going to opt out and open to other experts. Thank you for trying what I suggested. Sorry it didn't work out. MIke

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

In reading your conversation with Mike above, I have to agree with him that there is an obstruction somewhere in your pipe for it to not allow water to flow correctly. If it isn't in the head where the plugs commonly are, then it is in the pump system. Not knowing what kind of water you have, this may be the cause of your headaches. Hard water builds up inside the walls of the pipes and moreso where it gets hot. This build up will break and when your machine is not in use or cools down, this sedimet will fall down to your pump causing it to plug. Descaling it will help but it may not be the answer all the time. Sometimes you will have to manually remove the parts to clean and clear. Also debree from inside your water system will carry particals and this to will cause problems everytime. To find out will require you to remove the pump. It will also give you the chance to clear the water lines as well.

I wish you the best

Gary