Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Both the top oven and the main oven continue to heat up after

Both the top oven and the main oven continue to heat up after reaching the set temperature. Both ovens have developed this fault at the same time. The heating elements are not being switched off after reaching the set temperature.
This is an AEG D98000VF-M free standing cooker.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Sorry to hear about your oven problem

KevinWhiteJA :

From the details that you have provided, problem seems to be with the oven temperature sensor that is bad and will need replacement...please click on the below image

KevinWhiteJA :

AEG D98000VF-M Sensor
Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

however, you will have to test it with a multi meter

KevinWhiteJA :

if this tests fine then check the thermostat for continuity

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

Note that the fault applies to both ovens and developed at the same time. It is unlikely to be simultaneously a fault in both temperature sensors wouldn't you agree? Furthermore the temperature is indicated by the oven and also indicates when the set temperature has been reached (the oven beeps) - so that seems to show that the temperature sensors to be working.

KevinWhiteJA :

There is only one temperature sensor for both...the one that I have shown you

KevinWhiteJA :

if that tests fine then it is the main oven thermostat that will need replacement

Customer:

There are two separate independent ovens which can both be operated at the same time and set to different temperatures.

KevinWhiteJA :

I am telling you as per the model number from your initial question...AEG D98000VF

KevinWhiteJA :

and this model shows it is a double oven

KevinWhiteJA :

Just checked its parts...as both of them continue to heat so the temperature sensors are fine

KevinWhiteJA :

the fan is working so it is fine as well

KevinWhiteJA :

Your oven has a fan to draw in cool air at the bottom of the front panel, pass it around the case, and then blow it out at a position towards the top of the oven. This is a completely different fan that is at the back of the oven itself.....This cooling fan is normally controlled by a thermostat which senses when the oven is cool enough, or a timer that runs for a pre-set time after it is switched off to allow the oven to cool.

KevinWhiteJA :

AEG D98000VF-W Cooling Fan
Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

Let me know if you have checked this as well

Customer:

Yes it is a double oven. Both ovens can be operated independently and at the same time and set to different temperatures. This must mean that there are two temperature sensors, probably identical, monitoring the temperatures in two different locations. Both of these must be OK I think. What is surprising is that both ovens have the same fault of continuing to heat up beyond the set temperature. I would have imagined that there are separate relays for the heating elements in the different ovens.

Customer:

I am surprised you mention the cooling fan. Could this really have a bearing?

KevinWhiteJA :

Bearing ?

Customer:

A bearing on the matter - a figure of speech!

Customer:

The cooling fan seems to be for keeping the electronics cool - it is a very gentle flow of air.

KevinWhiteJA :

I was helping you based on the information that you have provided earlier and it seems you know a lot more moreover, you are unwilling to check anything...I will opt out of this and open it to all again...so that someone else can help you...Have a Good Day

Customer:

With due respect, I have not expressed any unwillingness to check anything. The information I gave at the beginning is the same I repeated in our conversation.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Just had a read through your initial post.

Both ovens overheat?
Does the element stay on when you turn the control off, in both ovens or only 1?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Do you still require help with this?

If you do, can you let me know the answer to my questions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Techdesk.

That is a good question. I think that it is only for one oven that the power remained on after switch off however I can't answer this definitely because the cooker is now working normally!

In other words the fault is intermittent. This itself may indicate something?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, for the element to remain on and glow when the controls are off, a relay on the power board has stuck in the "on" position.
This is the only possible cause as this relay has to be energised to allow power through to the element.

For the oven to continue heating but turn off when the controls are off, you would be looking at the temperature sensor.

If the machine is now working properly, all you can do is continue monitoring it and see if it fails again.

If it does and the fault for the main oven is the same, you need a new power board.

If the fault for the other oven is simply not cutting out when it reaches temperature, you are looking at a faulty sensor, or, again, a power board fault.

I'm glad it's righted itself and hopefully it will remain working.

If it does go wrong, just post here again and I'll advise on whatever is happening.

Hope this helps
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK