KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have a Maytag fridge freezer which which suffered from an

Customer Question

I have a Maytag fridge freezer which which suffered from an electrical fault whilst I was away. Everything defrosted. Having thrown away all the food, the problem now is how to get rid of the terrible smell.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number

KevinWhiteJA :

and how old is it ?

Customer:

The model number is XXXXX and it is 13 years old

KevinWhiteJA :

the model number is XXXXX coming up...may be as it is too old

KevinWhiteJA :

the problem seems to be with the defrost system of the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have already tried cleaning it with the solution of baking soda and warm water....then keep a bowl of coffee in the refrigerator

KevinWhiteJA :

this can remove the smell

Customer:

Yes I have read all this before. What I want to know is, do I keep the doors open or closed. Do I keep both the fridge freezer and fridge running whilst I do this, and at what temperature - low, medium, high? How long will this take. Both fridge and freezer smell terrible.

KevinWhiteJA :

You can leave the unit unplugged for around 72 hours

KevinWhiteJA :

with the doors open

KevinWhiteJA :

after that plug it back in and then keep things like coffee, oats etc for few days..do not keep anything else...within 2-3 days the smell should be gone

KevinWhiteJA :

It depends on how bad the smell is and takes time

Customer:

OK I will try this. I think many people have at least one freezer breakdown in their lives. It does seem amazing to me there isn't a clear plan - in the manual - for this, and no one has invented a really good product to help. Anyway, thanks for your help.

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that is right :) the only way to prevent bad odor is by keep on checking the unit once in a week/month and clean it once in every 2-3 months...I have seen things like coffee,oats even newspapers eliminate the odor

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to say, Kevin, that leaving the fridge-freezer unplugged, doors open for 3 full days and cleaning it and spraying it with a deodoriser (Crabtree and Evelyn's Cucumber Kitchen spray) has worked.. I am now able to use it again. Many thanks.

That's Great...Have a Good Day...Cheers