KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

zwf1221 washer. The drum is not turning at all. The drain pump

zwf1221 washer. The drum is not turning at all. The drain pump is working and the machine fills ok. The belt is ok from motor to drum. There is no smell from motor (as would be expected if the motor had burnt out). I am not sure that the washer is filling properly. It is certainly part filling but even on a 'full wash' there is no sign of the water in the front window. Front door will not open even when switched off.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

Customer: About 6 years old. Max 7 years old.
KevinWhiteJA :

So the main problem is drum not turning at all or it is not filling properly ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Do you mean it won't complete the cycle

Customer: The main problem is the drum not turning.
KevinWhiteJA :

Do you hear any different noises ?

Customer: Only the pump running and a change of note as the water that is in the machine empties.
KevinWhiteJA :

when you turn it manually it turns freely without any resistance ?

Customer: Yes. No problem at all turning by hand.
KevinWhiteJA :

any flashing lights ?

Customer: Only the normal lights when starting up the machine, before pressing the start button.
KevinWhiteJA :

OK...It seems that the bearing might be siezed or you have something jammed between the drum and outercasing

Customer: If there is something jammed would that not make it hard to turn? There is no problem turning by hand!
KevinWhiteJA :

Does it turn on wash cycle ?

Customer: No. It does not turn at all. There does not seem to be any indication of the main motor trying to start.
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, more likely worn brushes...lets check if we can get any error code out of the unit...To do this turn the dial to any setting and let it light up...After this is done press and hold the start button and the button to the left. Keep them held in for several seconds then the led's will go out. Now the start light and the end light will be flashing. Please count the total number of flashes from each the start light and the end light between the pause and let me know.

Customer: Start led- 2 flashes. End led 5 flashes
KevinWhiteJA :

are you sure it is 2 and 5

KevinWhiteJA :

not 3 and 5

Customer: Definitely 2 & 5. I have checked again.
KevinWhiteJA :

Thanks...this is E52 error which means there is No signal from the motor tachometer generator...Tacho coil on the motor is most probably faulty.

Customer: Does that mean a new motor or can I get the parts for the Tachometer coil?
KevinWhiteJA :

As you know a new motor will cost around £200 so for a bit more money you can get a new appliance....unfortunately these parts are not available separately

KevinWhiteJA :

Sorry about the bad news

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....

Customer: Thanks Kevin, I will look at options, but as you say a new machine will cost much more. I will revert if necessary. In the mean time how do I open the front door to get the contents out? I know it should release when the machine is at the end of a cycle, but I assume it cannot determine that with the motor fault.
KevinWhiteJA :

You can leave it unplugged for few minutes and the door should open...if it won't then you will have to take the top off the unit and then the front to open it

Customer: Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have it open now. Thanks for help - it may be bad news overall but that is not your fault - very helpful - thanks again.