Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi, I have a Siemens WDI1440 Washer Dryer and it is not spinning

I have a Siemens WDI1440 Washer Dryer and it is not spinning and all. We cleaned the filter and still no movement. When I start a program the water comes in and at the end it drains the water but during the circuit nothing happens. Do you think the drum/engine is broken? Maybe it's better to get a new machine rather then spend money on calling a repair man who will tell the same for hundred pound?
TIA
Renata
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
How old is your appliance?
How are your diy skills?
Would you be able to take the machine apart to work on it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

we bought the house about 2 years ago with the washing machine so not sure how old it is.

We started to take the machine apart and managed to get into the pump as this is an integtared machine and it is not accessable from the buttom. The filter was broken and couldn't remove it without braking it. we ordered the new filter. We took off the front and put it back but it was unnecessary work.

Not sure if we can do more than that as we don't have any proper tools apart from screw driver. Sorry

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

The most likely cause of the fault is the carbon brushes have worn out on the motor.

There's a possibility that the main board has failed, but more likely the brushes.

To change them, you need to take the machine out, take the motor out, change the carbon brushes and put it all back together again.

If you can't do the work, you could get someone in to do the repair for you.

If you are getting someone in, you're most likely better off getting a fixed price repair from the likes of British Gas or Knowhow (Currys). Both include parts and labour.

With British Gas, if it can't be repaired, there's no charge.

If you can do the work yourself, and if it's simply carbons, you'll save a good bit of money.

Check it out, see how it goes and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice.

I have found the product number: WDI1440GB/04 and Production number 8702 000290. Is it possible that the machine is 10 years old?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Your machine was built February 2007 so it's just 7 years old now.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.