Gary
Gary, Handyman
Experience:  25 yrs experiance in home related repairs..This includes carpentry, electrical, plumbing, appliances
3714457

Hi,I have a Bernina 707 Minimatic machine, the capacitor

Hi, I have a Bernina 707 Minimatic machine, the capacitor was leaking and we were told by a sewing machine outlet that it is not required, so we removed it. But now the light goes off when foot-pedal pressed but comes on again when static. My husband thinks he has re-connected the motor wiring wrong because he forgot to note the termination details - can you help?  Have you got a wiring diagram - we are looking  for sufficient advise to be able to reconnect the wires correctly. Thanks Jenny

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for using Just Answer. In reading your problem here I have a couple of thoughts for you. 1) basic electricty is just that when it comes to lights. There are two wires for your bulb in most cases. 1- is a hot lead and the other is what you call nuteral. aka ground. In a basic wiring in which your sewing maching has it is easy to remove the wires and change it around (switch it) and reconnect it to the motor.

2) this one you may not like so much. The compacitor was installed for a reason. That is, it maintains constant power to your light and keeps it from flickering or going off when you use your machine. This is why they tell you not to stick a srewdriver on them because they maintain a constant charge, thus it will more than make your hair stand on end when you use a screwdriver on them. You become the ground and yes you get the full voltage shock it maintains. Old television sets had these in them and I can remember when the husband would go back there and mess around and get himself introduse to such a suprise. Following that experience they would then call me.

In your case the person might have missed informed you about the compasitor. It is needed on your machine for you to have the light to work properly. It also regulates the power to not only the light but to other sensitive parts as well depending on all that your sewing machine does. It keeps them from receiving to much voltage and burning out.

I wish I could be better news for you ... and do wish you the best.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the information, but we were looking for a wiring diagram in order that my husband could re-connect the wiring in the motor correctly.

Cheers

Jenny

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jenny,

It just so happens I have one of those machines right here on my bench. I will break it open and look at the wires for you and give you first hand information. Please bear with me as this will take some time for I do have another iron in the fire that needs to get done. Sorry but my wife has priority ... But don't dispare I'll get back to you.

Take care

Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jenny;

I got the sewing machine that I have broke down enough to tell you where each wires goes to. Coming from the pully side of the machine's motor which runs everything is as follows.
1 st connection series; two wires; small white coming from the compassitor/restor located on the bottom right side of the motor. 2nd wire is a fabric type wire (normally oil soaked) and it leads to the motor. (normally sodered in.)

2 ground wire coming from the base plate.

3 three wires; 1 from the light, 2-small black leading to the resistor/condensor 3- jumper wirre leading into the next set of wire connections. (this is normally a live feeder wire)

4 four wires; 1 is the jumper wire coming from the connection box just to the left, 2- wire from light, 3-wire from the base plate switch 4- grey wire leading to the resistor/condensor

5 two wires; 1- from the base plate switch 2- fabric wire leading to the motor

6 one wire; this is a ground wire connected to the bottom of the motor and goes to the restor/condensor.

the wires from the base switch and light are of the same size and color. if you would flaten the wires the order would go as follows; light, light base switch, base switch.

No diagram because I couldn't find one, however this is the next best thing. I hope it helps.

Gary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for the above, because my husband works away all week I have sent it to him, just to see if there is any other info that he requires. If not then I will pay you for your services.

Jenny

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jenny,

Thank you for keeping me informed. If there is anything else I can do please let me know. I wish you the best.

Gary