canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Hi, my dishwasher is making a strange noise and it wouldnt

Hi, my dishwasher is making a strange noise and it wouldn't start. Do you have any idea what the problem is? Thanks.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Does the discharge look to be blocked?

canuck the pro :

Can you describe the noise?

Customer:

It's a low rhythmical noise, like something is clicking but electric?

Customer:

The machine doesn't want to start. There was some water at the bottom of the dishwasher which I cleared and then checked the filter. There was nothing which seems to block the drainage.

Customer:

Do you have any suggestions?

canuck the pro :

Is this a new installation or is it older?

Customer:

About a year. Maybe half a year.

Customer:

It's been working fine so far.

canuck the pro :

Is the connection for the discharge into the drain for the kitchen sink drain?

Customer:

I'm not sure if I understand your question. I think the pipe from the dishwasher goes outside which is the same as the kitchen sink drain.

canuck the pro :

The dishwasher is next to the kitchen sink?

Customer:

Yes

canuck the pro :

The discharge for the dishwasher should go into the cabinet under the kitchen sink. Do you see the flexible hose that comes through the cabinet and is connected to the kitchen drain pipe?

Customer:

The hose is behind the kitchen cabinets and I cannot see it easily. Let me have a look...

Customer:

It seems like they are separate. That is, the hose for the dishwasher drains directly and the kitchen one as well? Does that make sense?

canuck the pro :

Would you be able to send a picture?

Customer:

Of the hose? All I can see from underneath the kitchen sink is a copper pipe. Should I try to pull out the dishwasher?

Customer:

What should I do?

canuck the pro :

Do you see a flexible hose that comes through the cabinet? The copper pipe is likely the water feed.

canuck the pro :

Full Size Image

canuck the pro :

Like the one labeled new drain hose

Customer:

No I can't see it. That's why I think it is not connected to the kitchen drain pipe. They drain just outside the wall

canuck the pro :

There are no drain pipes that you can see under the kitchen sink? Is there a black rubber hose connected to the drain pipe?

Customer:

Sorry I was being ignorant. I found it now. It's coming from the bottom of the cabinet

Customer:

So yes, there is a flexible hose connected to the kitchen sink drain.

canuck the pro :

Ok that is part of the problem there. I am sorry but I have to go put a boy to bed. Is it ok if we pick it up in about 10 minutes? He is pretty sleepy I doubt it will take me long.

Customer:

That's fine. Thanks.

canuck the pro :

Thank you too.

canuck the pro :

I am back. Thank you for your patience.

Customer:

No problem. So what should I do now? Check the flexible hose? Do I need to take it off?

canuck the pro :

Yes. Take it off and see if there is a blockage in it. Be careful. You may want to have a large bowl in case it is full of water. Make sure the bowl will fit under it before removing it.

canuck the pro :

When you lower it then water will certainly come out.

Customer:

Yes. It's coming from the bottom of the cabinet, meaning it goes up then down. Do I need to pull out the appliance in order to check for a blockage?

canuck the pro :

No just disconnect from the kitchen connection. Do you want to send a picture of the piping so that I can mark what it is that you should disconnect? I can take your picture and mark it and send it back. It will be just like I am there directing you......except in extreme slow motion!

Customer:

I think I can handle this one as I do a lot of DIY myself. Thanks for the offer though. I'll go ahead and check now? Could you wait for a few minutes?

canuck the pro :

Sure. I am totally free now that the boy is asleep. Only 9pm here.

Customer:

Nice. You're in the East Coast then. I'm having a bit of problem trying to disconnect...I'll try again.

canuck the pro :

Is there a clamp on it?

Customer:

Got it. I drained what I can. So far no blockage...

Customer:

But then that end was going up to the connection. So should I pull out the appliance?

Customer:

Do you think a blockage can make the machine make some mechanical noise?

canuck the pro :

Reconnect it. Do you know if the sink drained ok?

Customer:

Yes, the sink drain is ok. No blockage.

Customer:

I just reconnected.

canuck the pro :

Maybe it was air locked. Did the water drain from the bottom of the dishwasher? Or is it still standing water in the dishwasher bottom?

Customer:

I took the water out pretty much, maybe there is a bit left but very little. The water didn't drain automatically hence I scooped out the water.

Customer:

And checked the filter and cleaned (nothing major was in it).

canuck the pro :

But the water drained out when you removed the hose?

Customer:

Oh I see what you mean. Well, I just drained out as much as I can. So I think the flexible pipe goes out from the dishwasher and goes down then up again. I don't think I managed to drain everything in the hose.

Customer:

Should I try again?

canuck the pro :

Is there an air gap connected? Something like this?

Full Size Image

Customer:

No, nothing on my connection. Shall I send you a picture?

canuck the pro :

Only water came out right? Did you happen to look inside the connection it was connected to? Nothing blocking it in there?

Customer:

Yes, only water. I did look inside the hose, I can't see the other end because of the angle.

canuck the pro :

Can you describe the noise it made?

Customer:

It's like this regular rhythmical pattern, quite low pitch.

Customer:

Could send you the sound?

Customer:

If I record...

canuck the pro :

Like a pump not pumping?

Customer:

Perhaps.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

That's the photo of the connection. I'll record the sound now.

canuck the pro :

Take the filters out and remove the water under the filters.

Look into the area (sump bowl) and you'll see a cover on the left of the sump bowl held by a single screw.

It's a torx screw.

Take the screw out and take the cover off.

Remove any debris.

Ensure the pump impellor can turn.

Turn it manually.

Refit the cover and screw.

Try the machine again.

Customer:

I think I did that already. I took out the filters and checked the pump impellor already. It seemed to turn fine.

canuck the pro :

There was no debris below that?

Customer:

No

canuck the pro :

Maybe the drain was air locked. Try to run it again. If it makes the noise shut it down. There may be a blockage after the pump but I suspect that possibly it was air locked since there is not an air gap connected.

canuck the pro :

Do you have a double sink or single sink?

Customer:

I tried to run it again and it's making the same noise...I have a single sink

canuck the pro :

Do you have the drain plug in the sink?

Customer:

I don't know what it is...

Customer:

I tried to send a sound file here, but I guess I can't

canuck the pro :

The plug you would put in the sink if you were filling the sink with water. Is it in the drain?

Customer:

From what I understand, I can press down the metal bit and it can close the drain and fill the sink with water.

canuck the pro :

Ok so that was open?

Customer:

Are you talking about the hole in the sink with the metal where water drains normally? If so, yes it is usually open?

canuck the pro :

Ok. just wanted to see if that is causing any air lock. Too bad. Impeller seems to be free? I was hoping you wouldn't have to remove it but I guess it is time to dig deeper. Do you know what to do to remove it?

Customer:

No, I've never done it before. Is it straight forward?

Customer:

Or could I use some solution to unblock the drainage? I occasionally do that with sinks.

canuck the pro :

No. Very likely have to disconnect the wires and disconnect the plumbing. Then lower the feet and pull it out without scratching the floor.

canuck the pro :

Make sure the power is off before disconnecting the wires.

Customer:

This is sounding a bit risky for me to do. Should I ask my builder to take a look?

Customer:

I don't want to break anything!

canuck the pro :

Hold on I am trying to find a video. Then you can watch it and see what is outside your comfort level.

Customer:

Ok

canuck the pro :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3uCrKXQHRk

canuck the pro :

The wiring is going to be different for you so just mark where the wires go. The water connection may be a bit different but mostly it is the same. You may have to lower the feet to get it out.

Customer:

While I was waiting, I cleared up the water in the bottom of the dishwasher (I realised I didn't clear it completely) and tried to run it again. Then the machine really went wrong this time. I think the fuse in the plug went off and the entire circuit went off. I think there's not much I can do right now. Thanks for all your help though. You've been really patient. I'll give you a good service although it didn't ultimately solve the problem. I'll contact Siemens tomorrow and see what they say.

canuck the pro :

Alright. Hopefully it is a blockage and almost certainly it is. If you do get it out you will know what to do to find the obvious blockages but also on the top there is a vent. Often that vent will get blocked with debris and that will cause an airlock too and freeze the pump. Not many will suggest to check that out and very often I have been a hero showing up and cleaning that out after a couple repair guys have already told the customer to get a new dishwasher. It is simple to clean out and will make sense when you get it out.

Customer:

Thanks for the advice. I'll save this chat and show it to my builder who is an electrician. I just hope my machine didn't blow up. It made a noise when it went off (like a pop). Do you think it's still ok?

canuck the pro :

Yes. Likely a fuse. If they are going to explode it usually happens when the drain gets removed......just kidding. Did the pop sound come from there or maybe the fuse bx?

Customer:

It came from the the machine, not the fuse box. I swapped the fuses for the dishwasher and washing machine and the fuses are fine. So I thought maybe the fuse in the plug went? I just hope that's the only broken bit. I would hate to pay another 500 pounds for a new appliance.

canuck the pro :

No I am sure it is repairable. A dishwasher never dies just the owner usually gives up on it way too early. My mum has one that is at least 30 years old.

Customer:

Thanks for the reassurance. It's almost 3:30 here I think I'll leave it for now. At least I know a lot more about dishwashers. I appreciate your help.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. You can still ask questions even after you rate my service if something comes up. I will always respond. Mike

Customer:

That's very kind of you. Have a nice evening. I'll let you know how I get on. Akemi

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber