Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

we have a new larder fridge arriving today. behind existing

Customer Question

we have a new larder fridge arriving today. behind existing one are 4 medium copper pipes for GCh/water, 2 are hot now. previous owners have nicely boxed these in. My husband wants to take the encasement off to give slightly better room for the fridge which will fit ,but will give us better door opening. He will do this when he gets in from work......I have already done this... by unscrewing Phillips screws and two of the pipes are really hot. so I would think it would be sensible to keep the boxing on, so as not to affect the working of the fridge. What would you suggest and how shall I put it to my husband without making him feel stupid!! Ha Ha! Mrs Cora XXXX

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Your machine may work ok with the pipes exposed but, as you rightly suggest, it would make it less efficient in operation and, if it gets warm enough around the machine, it will stop it working.

The compressor at the bottom rear of the fridge would run hotter and the condenser wouldn't be able to cool the refrigerant as well as it could, if the heat was removed.

I'd suggest trying to explain how hot air circulating at the rear of the machine would make the machine work harder to achieve the desired cooling and if it gets too warm around the machine, it will stop cooling.

Every refrigerator has a climate class, your machine will likely be class SN which means it will work properly as long as the ambient temperature doesn't drop below 10 deg C or rise above 32 deg C.

If the pipework is really hot, and raises the ambient temperature at the machine above 32 deg C, it won't run properly.

Hopefully, you'll be able to use this information to have the pipes boxed in again.

Good luck with it,
Hope this helps
Get back to me if you need more help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info will try and `gently` advise husband!!

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
You're welcome.

Good luck with the new appliance