canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have recently bought a rangemaster with a ceramic hob and

I have recently bought a rangemaster with a ceramic hob and unfortunately my babysitter has scratched the hob by sliding a pan on it!! I have spoken to,rangemaster and it would be neatly £500 to replace the glass and I do not really want to claim on my house insurance. I wondered if you can recommend a glass repair specialist for me to call and seek their advice.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today.

canuck the pro :

You can easily repair this with metal polish and buff the scratches out. I think I have seen a video before I will see if I can find it.

canuck the pro :

I have done this on my own and it looked brand new! It kind of makes a mess though since the buffing wheel flicks polish around.

Customer: Where do I get the buffer from?
canuck the pro :

Do you have a drill? You don't necessarily need one as you can do it by hand. Maybe the babysitter can be the muscle! Probably a lot neater to do it by hand also.

canuck the pro :

Here, I found the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb0pvAxlZx4

Customer: Found the video...how can you do it without a drill and buffing wheel?
canuck the pro :

With a soft cloth you would buff it out. There are buffing cloths available at any hardware store. Certainly an option.

Customer: I personally think the scratch is more deep rooted than that but I will have a go???can you recommend a good metal polish?
canuck the pro :

Hard for me to say. I use Lucas but I do not use enough of it to have a very strong opinion. Lucas works very good for me though.

canuck the pro :

Do you have further questions? I am happy to help. You can still ask questions even after rating my service if something comes up. I will always respond. Mike

Customer: I can feel and see the scratch so in your opinion do you think your recommendation would work or should I contact a professional glass repair company?
canuck the pro :

I think it will work. You will pay a lot to get it repaired. The cost of repairing yourself is minimal so it is certainly worth attempting. I believe the chances of buffing the scratch out are very very good that you can do on your own.

Customer: Thank you
canuck the pro :

You are very welcome.