KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have a Neff Dryer R4381X1GB/01 FD8003 00289. when the power

I have a Neff Dryer R4381X1GB/01 FD8003 00289.
when the power is turned on all the control panel lights operate, after pressing the start button the motor / heater does not start but the countdown timer works.
the condenser is clean, the door filter is clean, I think it stopped mid cycle as it had been set going in the morning but when I got home the clothes were still damp.
what might the fault be?
is it worth fixing on a machine of this age?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

Customer:

I think we bought it in 2002

KevinWhiteJA :

can you test the heater assembly with a multimeter for continuity ?

KevinWhiteJA :

From the description that you have provided in your question it seems the heater assembly is bad and will need replacement

Customer:

I have taken the back off and can see there is a re-set (I think) I will borrow a multi meter and do the test later, I assume there should be a continuous circuit with some resistance?

Customer:

when I said in the 'already tried' that the drum and motor turn - I meant it is free and moves by hand NOT under power (for clarification)

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that is right...there is a reset, if you have not already tried then please try...the heater should have continuous circuit ...if it tests fine then check the motor

KevinWhiteJA :

also there are two thermostats which come with heater assembly...you can test them as well for continuity

KevinWhiteJA :

a new heater assembly will cost you £120 and a new motor will cost around £220

Customer:

OK

Customer:

how or where do I test the motor

KevinWhiteJA :

well honestly the motor does not go bad it is usually the heater assembly...if you want to test the motor then set your multimeter to the R x 1 setting. Touch each of the meter's probes to one terminal each. Your motor should show little resistance (a reading of zero, or close to zero). After this test the ground connection as well

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied..If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

Kevin, I will be back at home to do the test this evening. Do I need to rate your answers now or after I have done the test??

KevinWhiteJA :

You can do it either ways...as I said...Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied..If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

I have tested the heater and it has continuity over the 5 elements.

Customer:

I will have a go at the other tests this afternoon.

Customer:

Could it be the door contact? someone at work said that could affect it

KevinWhiteJA :

If the heater is fine then check the motor first...if that appears fine as well test the door interlock assembly ... anyways if both motor and heater are fine I believe it is the control board not the door lock...still you can check it