Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

my neff hood extractor d8901 stopped working on 1st and third

my neff hood extractor d8901 stopped working on 1st and third speed and even on 2nd speed which seems fine it stops after about 10 mins. All hood lights come on ok. I replaced the pcb but no change so I replaced the capacitor,still no change. The motor is not clogged up or even very dirty-Dont know where to go next!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok so if you set it to setting 1 or 3 do you hear any noise at all from the motor like a humming noise?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Yes when i switch it on setting 1 it turns ok, seems normal but takes a while -3/4 secs to start fan turning and low extraction but I'm not sure if it could turn faster than it does, move it to setting 2 and it seems fine, onto 3 and it was just humming but now turning. I've taken it out now and checked the pcb/switch again thinking I may have place it back wrongly as it seems now that 2 is the fastest (high) and 3 is medium speed but its turning-I didn't do anything so don't know whats changed-it stopped after 8 mins though and the motor was to hot to touch but then I wouldn't expect my bike to be cold after 8 mins!

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for that. If the motor is stopping hot to touch and from what you say this is a motor fault

As in these theres only 3 things in there either the control board, Capacitor or motor. As the board and capacitor is new this just leaves the motor.

But from the fault you describe I would have said the motor will be the fault from the start on this as when the motors run they can get warm but if its getting hot then its overheating inside the motor and thermal cut out inside the motor is stopping it.

To cure this the motor will need to be replaced im afraid.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Daniel

Not sure if you are able to give me some guidance here (for free!)but Ill try anyway

I cannot source a replacement for the fime electric motor as Neff have discontinued this range and cant offer any alternative except complete new hood-ie not really very helful. My question is -In your opinion would it be worth trying to have this motor repaired or is that not a very good idea?

Thanks regardless!

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

No worries you can still ask more questions on this even after rating that's not a problem.

I Neff have made it obsolete then that's a pain in the neck as if there is an alternative they usually just supersede the part number to the alternative motor which should be the same.

But as they make newer models they chance the spec of the motors so they don't interchange so when its obsolete theres nothing you can do.

Now if you know of a place that can repair the motor then its well worth trying it. Im afraid I don't know of a place that repairs motors, only control boards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cheers Daniel - I'll give it a whirl!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

''But as they make newer models they chance the spec of the motors so they don't interchange so when its obsolete there's nothing you can do.''

Just for your info Daniel you can do something - I tracked down another motor which I was able to interchange . At the end of the day all these do is expell air so regardless of the spec they still do exactly the same job they were designed for 40 years ago. Strikes me its all a scam with these companies wanting to sell the whole hood-probably against consumer council guidelins