KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Zanussi ZWF 16581w noisy drum No movement in bearings but

Customer Question

Zanussi ZWF 16581w noisy drum
No movement in bearings but sounds loud
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- : 3 years ish m
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, Lets check if we can get any error code out of the unit...To do this turn the dial to any setting and let it light up...After this is done press and hold the start button and the button to the left. Keep them held in for several seconds then the led's will go out. Now the start light and the end light will be flashing. Please count the total number of flashes from each the start light and the end light between the pause and let me know.

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- : It flashed red 4x then space the 1x then normal
KevinWhiteJA :

So you mean start light flashed 4 times and end light flashed once ?

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

The button is marked with a 'play' sign and a 'pause sign

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

these both flashed red 4 times then it paused then flashed once green

KevinWhiteJA :

the fault code indicates faulty door lock

KevinWhiteJA :

however, from your question it seems the problem is with the bearings

KevinWhiteJA :

lets try again the error code....unplug the unit for 3 minutes

KevinWhiteJA :

then plug it back and turn the washer on, close the door and wait for around 1 minute...after this ...Press and hold the start/pause and the button immediately to the left of it, together....An error code should be displayed....please let me know the error code

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

same as before????

KevinWhiteJA :

same error ?

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

yes also says e41

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes this means door lock fault

KevinWhiteJA :

please check the door lock mechanism

KevinWhiteJA :

try to run the washer on spin only

KevinWhiteJA :

let me know how it goes

KevinWhiteJA :

does it even start

KevinWhiteJA :

and closely hear where that noise is coming from

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

i will, it has been running fine, apart from the noise which feels like its not as smooth running as it used to be when you spin the drum

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

i will try now again

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- : It's currently spinning and working normally
JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- : Just waiting for door lock to release
JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

noisy bearings i think?

KevinWhiteJA :

well E41 indicates faulty door lock...if it works on spin absolutely fine then yes bearings will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

complete bearing assembly will cost you around £85

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

i was just reading that sealed drums cant have bearings changed? is this one ok to change bearings?

KevinWhiteJA :

yes you can change them however, will require a expert for this job

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

check this image

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

is it not a case of strip down washer etc? How much is it likely to cost...?

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

Is this model a sealed drum?

KevinWhiteJA :

I believe it can be either part#254 or #255 from the image that is causing the issue

KevinWhiteJA :

have not seen too many bearings go bad in just 3 years

KevinWhiteJA :

will cost you around £150 or a bit more if the problem is with bearings

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

our last w/m lasted 10 + years so a bit annoyed really!

KevinWhiteJA :

I can understand however, I would still recommend to clean the bearing assembly and check if something is stuck in there...

KevinWhiteJA :

Sorry about the bad news....You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- :

how would i go about cleaning and greasingthe bearings? I just tried lifting the drum at the front and there is play up and down at front?

KevinWhiteJA :

well basically from the back you will have to take the screw out to replace the bearing and greasing etc

KevinWhiteJA :

Check this Video

KevinWhiteJA :

it will give you an idea on how to replace

KevinWhiteJA :

Please don't rate the solution till the time you are completely satisfied...If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-mvjrscf8- : Ok will check it out thanks
KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good Evening