canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

i have a maytag frige freezer and the ice compartment stoped

i have a maytag frige freezer and the ice compartment stoped working
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is it no longer making ice or is the freezer no longer getting cold?

Customer:

no longer making ice

canuck the pro :

If you look at the ice maker is there a cube stuck in the machine itself? The teeth turn and sometimes a cube will get jammed and stop the rotation of the teeth.

Customer:

just checked no ice stuck

canuck the pro :

Do you still get water out of the water dispenser?

Customer:

yes we do

canuck the pro :

Ok sorry for the delay. Busy morning here. Is the bar switched off or any kind of strange noise? The bar can easily be bumped to the off position. Nothing like that or certainly a fault? Have there been any issues leading up to this or it just stopped working?

Customer:

well i had an engineer out last week cos the frige was not working he serviced it checked defrost heater and timer switching machine on and of defrost fitted new starter and topped gas charge

canuck the pro :

The freezer itself was not working before or was that all done because it was not making ice? Do you have a multi-meter and are you familiar with checking voltages?

Customer:

no the freezer was working fine its just the fridge that stopped working yes we have a multi meter and my husband can check volttages if told what to do

canuck the pro :

If he can check to see if is voltage to the ice maker when it is on.

Customer:

ok how does he do this

canuck the pro :

If he looks on the connector there would be wires should be black and red. Black meter probe to black and red meter probe to red.

canuck the pro :

There also may be a tech sheet if you look on the hinge for the fridge door there is a plastic cover on top of the door hinge. If you look under the plastic cover there may be some diagnostic directions there also.

Customer:

he cannot find coonectors took cover off module and is looking at that now?

canuck the pro :

May have to remove the ice maker unit to access. While you have it out check where the fill tube goes into fill chamber is not full of ice. If there is a chunk of ice in the chamber remove the ice and check that the tube is not frozen. Possibly the only problem is that so if you remove the whole unit remove any ice in it. Is there a light on the ice maker itself? Some have a ready light and that would answer our voltage question.

canuck the pro :

I have to run out soon for a service call. I will have my cell with me and will monitor the situation if you have any questions but my response may be delayed. I will be marked as away but I will check often if you have further questions.

Customer:

took ice compartment out and cleaned it, module is working but no water seems to b going into ice maker the lever for ice goes up n down freely

canuck the pro :

Is the compartment that the water goes into clear? Was there ice in the compartment? Did the tubing seem to be frozen?

canuck the pro :

I will be driving for about 20 minutes. I will check for response then, ok?

Customer:

yes the compartment is clear no ice the tubing is solid

canuck the pro :

But the tubing is clear of ice? Were you able to check for voltage on the connector? Are there any lights on the front indicating power? If you install the machine again does it make any sounds at all? If you poke a small screwdriver inside the tubing does it seem clear?

Customer:

husband out for 1hr will let u know when he gets back

canuck the pro :

Very good

Customer:

thanks for your help it was the water pipe

canuck the pro :

Very good. I had the rating off. If you were rating me badly no need. We can work it out.

canuck the pro :

The rating system is activated. If any further questions arise you can still ask questions even after rating. I will always respond. Mike

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber