Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have a AEG washer, model 72640 update, that appears to be

I have a AEG washer, model 72640 update, that appears to be fine, all relevant lights appear, press the start button and machine does not start, no water injected to drum, timer static, door lite goes off when start pressed, main wash lite comes on but no washer activity.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the product number (PNC) of the appliance please?
It begins with 9 so you'll need to prefix it with A to prevent it being crossed out when posted.

eg. A914419941 00

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PNC No A91400240800, S No 23513148

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Turn the dial to off.
Press and hold together the prewash and soaking buttons.
While holding them, turn the dial 1 click clockwise.
The lights flash, release the buttons and the lights scroll.

Now turn the dial clockwise to the 2nd last position before off.

You should see a fault code displayed.
Let me know the code.
If you have no display, number the lights down the side of the dial with 1 at the top.
Which numbers flash?

Now turn off, to any program and back to off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fault code E54 appears

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Thanks for that.

Not good news I'm afraid, the machine is reporting the main board is faulty.

You would need to replace the main board to cure this fault.

You may also have a fault on the motor that is causing the problem with the board.

All codes in the E50 range are for motor circuit faults. E54 is the part of the board for the motor circuit.

The boards are expensive and will need configuring after fitting (unless you get a pre configured board).

You may find it more cost effective to have the machine repaired by British Gas or Knowhow (Currys).
They both offer fixed price repairs that include parts and labour.

I'd suggest checking the wiring to the motor and to the main control board, see if anything is adrift there.
If it all checks out ok, have a close look at the circuit board (you'll need to take it out of the control board casing) to see if there's any obvious damage. (No damage doesn't mean the board is ok though).

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your guidance, we have ordered a replacement washer given that the washer when repaired would still be over 11 years old. JL were offering a smashing deal to good to turn down.