canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Hi, I am such an idiot! The salt refill light came on my Hotpoint

Hi, I am such an idiot! The salt refill light came on my Hotpoint Aquarius dishwasher and I accidentally started to pour in soda crystals into the reservoir. I quickly noticed that it was the wrong packet that I had picked up because the crystals were much smaller than usual but at least a heaped tablespoon went in before I stopped........help!
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 years ago.

canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. No worries at all. Just remove as much as you can. Run the dishwasher on hot one time and that should rinse any residue out.

canuck the pro :

Did you get the soda crystals in the softener or the rinse aid?

Customer: No, just the salt reservoir
canuck the pro :

Did you already run it with it ? If not the remove what you can. If it's dry then vacuum it out and if it is wet then use a wet vacuum. Run a cycle on rinse hot with the dishwasher empty. All will be well.

Customer:

How can i remove it?

canuck the pro :

I think we both commented at the same time. Did you see my comment?

Customer:

Yes, but i do not have a wet vacuum

Customer:

I have small children, will they become ill if they eat off dishes that have been in the dishwasher

Customer:

I have put it on a wash cycle twice

canuck the pro :

Were you able to get it scooped out first or ran it with all that was put in there.

Customer:

no, i couldnt scoop it out, the reservoir is always ful to the brim with water

Customer:

*full

canuck the pro :

Ok well it is a good thing that you are using soda instead of detergent. Running another cycle or two empty will flush it. The worst that will happen is the softening will not work as well and there may be scale on your dishes if the softener is damaged. Rinsing with hot water will work it out though. Nothing to worry about as long as it is not repeated any time soon.

Customer:

ok, thankyou

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. Worst case the resin will need to be replaced but chances are very strongly in your favour that all will be well.

Customer:

What resin, I don't know what you mean

canuck the pro :

The resin beads in the softener are what collect the deposits. If too much soda got into the beads they will get dissolved and the softening process will be impeded. The soda may have had some impact on this and after running a few rinses the water will rinse the beads. The soda does dissolve very easily so rinsing will certainly clear out the soda. You will find that as you do dish cycles if there is scale buildup on the dishes that would be because of the loss of resin. It is unlikely that is the case but possible. I just want to offer all the possible scenarios.

canuck the pro :

If you were a repeated soda pouring offender it would eventually cause issue. The soda is a water softener too so really not likely there will be any issue at all.

Customer:

Thankyou

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome